Chapter 16: Bad News

Kokoro's POV

After classes finish, I went to the library to pick a book about flowers. The school allowed me to plant a new type of flowers in the garden so, I'm going to read about them to decide which one is better.

I passed through the familiar shelves and made the path that is already printed in my memory. In the way, I saw Mitsuru putting a book back to his place while picking other. He glanced at me and smiled. I smiled back.

When I arrive to the wanted section, I start reading the spines of the books, while passing my fingers on them. I find an encyclopedia with all types of flowers on top of the shelves. I try to reach it but I can't. I go on my tip toes and, with one hand supported on the wood of the shelve, I stretch out, trying to grab the book.

My fingers touch the spine. Almost there.

I make more force to grab the book and I feel the book cabinet starting to shake. Oh no.

Before I knew it, some books on the higher shelves start falling towards me. It seemed like they were on slow motion, like in a movie. But they were not. They were falling too fast and I had no reaction. I just stood there, my eyes widen.

The sensation was different from what I was expecting. I feel something involving me and making me facing away the falling books.

I hear a sound a pain and quickly look to the person who 'saved' me.

"Mitsuru, are you okay?" I ask, preoccupation filling me.

He makes an attempt of a reassuring smile. "Y-Yeah, I am."

I look around to see the books on the ground. They looked heavy by the hard cover and the number of pages.

I move my eyes to Mitsuru. He was hit with the books when he protected me. One had was on his back and the other on a shelve.

"This is all my fault. If I had asked for help, you wouldn't have gotten hurt." I say as I put an arm around his torso.

"D-Don't worry, Kokoro. This is nothing!"

I shake my head. "The least I can do is bringing you to the infirmary, whatever you want or not."

Mitsuru opened his mouth to protest but when he saw my determination, he closed it. He sighs.

"I'm not that hurt." He murmurs. He wraps an arm around my shoulders, though.

-At the infirmary-

"What happened?" The nurse asks as Mitsuru sits on a bed.

After I explain what happened, the nurse goes to Mitsuru and lifts his shirt. I look away, feeling a familiar warmth on my cheeks.

"Your back is all red." She says in a sad tone. "You even have small lumps." The nurse lets out a heavy sigh. "The kids these days..." She murmurs and I hear footsteps.

I look again at Mitsuru, my heartbeat pounding in my ears. This is all my fault.

The nurse returns with an ointment. "You'll have to put this everyday on your back for a week. If the lumps don't go away in that time, then visit me again."

"But how am I going to put it? I can't reach areas on my back."

"Ask your roommate."

Mitsuru seemed like he wanted to say something but he stayed quiet, only nodding.

"Kokoro?" I look at the nurse. "Please accompany Mitsuru to his room. I give you special authorization to go to the boy's floor so of anyone asks you what you are doing, just tell them to talk to me."