fifteen

again I didn't read through it so don't kill me

"Stop fidgeting so much!" I scolded for the millionth time on the ride. Niall offered to take his car and drive instead of having to take a taxi which I was perfectly fine with. "You are literally going to crash us."

He kept shaking his leg, and it was distracting. But he also kept his other hand on my thigh, constantly making random patterns. Which I was fine with. But his hands were shaky and sweaty because he was definitely nervous.

"What do you even eat during Thanksgiving? God, I hope we have turkey. That's what Americans have right? Turkey, like the bird? Is that weird to think of that we are eating birds. Holy shit it's like eating a pigeon but a really fat ass-" I gripped his hand to hush him up, lightly making patterns on the back of his palm.

Niall relaxed a bit, his leg still shaking. "What if your parents don't like me?"

I sighed, looking over at him. He had his sunglasses on along with a red snapback so I couldn't tell what his expression was. His eyebrows were hard, his lip constantly being wetted by his tongue. It was cute seeing him so vulnerable sometimes.

"My mom will like you. She's really sweet. Honestly if you just look into her eyes, she'll melt into those blue ones and just want to bake you cookies." I laughed, still holding his hand. It was stupid and cheesy, but it just felt right.

"That's good to hear." Niall began tapping along to the faint sound of Green Day, "Tell me about your family."

He genuinely sounded interested so we spent the rest of the three hour ride talking about embarrassing family stories and Green Day.

-

As soon as Niall pulled into my driveway, I immediately got out and ran to see my dad on the porch. He engulfed me in a hug, and I was happy. I was happy to see his smiling face. I missed him a lot.

"Happy thanksgiving!" He cheered as he kissed me on the cheek. He was a very typical looking man. A balding head paired with his beer gut.

Niall appeared behind me, with our suitcases behind him. He nervously clenched his hands around them, "I, uh, I hope it's okay I'm here."

I mentally, 'aww'd' because he was trying so hard to be all gentleman. Which I thankfully had the opportunity of seeing. I walked to stand beside Niall, tugging him inside to see my parents.

"So Sophia called me last minute about you. What's your name, son?" My dad patted his back, leading him into the living room.

"Niall. Niall Horan." He shakily responded, his eyes scanned the room then widened as he saw a photo and news articles on the wall.

My dad and I followed his eyes and my dad chose to answer. "Ohh I see you interested in my badges."

"Badges?" Niall chewed on his bottom lip. "I forgot to mention, my dad's a DEA officer."

-

We spent the rest of the day showing Niall around and my mom actual baking cookies. I helped a bit with the cooking while Niall just watched because he claimed he was terrible at it.

I also noticed he was a but more anxious after he met my dad, at least after he found out he was an officer. I know Niall is a party kid who drinks, and I never assumed he was perfect, I knew he smoked.

But it was different. Like Niall was actually scared of my dad.

Despite the nerves, Niall was still his confident self outside of that. He would crack jokes with my dad, compliment my mother, and sometimes show a little affection with me.

He would stir the mashed potatoes for me a bit, then stuck his finger in the bowl and dabbed a bit on my nose. I shrieked and attempted to get it off, but when my parents weren't in the kitchen he would wipe it off gently and press a kiss to my nose.

I forgot about our game we had made a few weeks ago. I wanted to kiss him, of course, but I still wasn't over what happened. You don't just get over a guy standing you up then humiliating you at a bar.

I still wasn't sure what we were. And I wasn't ready to ask him either.

But then dinner started and that's when my dad got serious. He was a bit overprotective, always scaring away any potential boyfriends when I was younger with his pistol and shotgun.

"You're not scared of police officers are you son?" He kept calling Niall 'son' like a nickname but it was weird.

"No, sir." Niall coughed on his food, his hand on my thigh under the table. "I mean, no, Mr. Rhodes."

"That's good..." My dad continued eating probably thinking of more questions while my mom continued chatting to me. I kept my eye on them though.

"So Niall, are you dating my daughter?" Now it was my turn to cough on my food, as Niall dropped his utensil on his plate. "What?" I mumbled.

"You guys heard me," He laughed, chuckling to himself. He was probably proud seeing Niall so flustered.

"Aw he's just teasing you, honey." My mom smiled at Niall, laughing along with my dad. I rolled my eyes, but Niall was still frozen.

My mother sighed once more, everyone was full now and the dessert was almost gone. She got up to put away her dish and I assumed she saw Niall's hand intertwined in mine. He had snuck his hand there after many awkward conversations and I was proud of him for actually sticking through them.

"You guys make a cute couple."

-

"Well this is your room." I motioned to the guest room that used to be my older brother's. He was older now, with a wife, and he was planning on visiting tomorrow.

Niall nodded, and settled in his things. "Cool."

I left to go into my room, which was right across the hallway, to change and finally get some sleep. I was sure I wasn't going to get any tonight because tomorrow I would have to visit my sick grandma. And that scared me.

I settled myself into my old bed and it was just as I left it a few months ago. I found myself thinking about how much has happened. I met Niall; and even though things were complicated, I liked where we were.

I soon drifted off to sleep, but I felt somebody tap me. I swear it felt like a dream. I fluttered my eyes open to see Niall, he was still in the same outfit.

I checked my phone for the time; 3:07.

"Shh, go back to bed Soph." He whispered, pulling the blanket over me. "I'll be back before you even wake up."

And then darkness came over me once again.

next chapter will be in Niall's POV so it'll make sense ok thanks for reading ily

this was kinda boring it's a filler chapter the next few chapters will have more drama >:)

but if you don't know what a DEA officer is its basically a special police force for drug related crimes