36. Encore

Love is complicated.

It has the power to give someone true happiness, as well as ruin and destroy someone for life. It leaves an everlasting scar on the heart, and it can drastically change people.

It's so difficult to understand this strange phenomenon that everyone craves.

Well, mostly everyone.

There's different kinds of love— romantic love, sexual love, and of course unconditional love— the most powerful form of love. Where no matter the circumstances, you will continue to love them.

That, you believed, was indeed true love.

As a deafening boom echoed throughout the room, you jumped into Yesung's arms. He clung onto you protectively as footsteps approached the both of you.

You flinched again as the lights suddenly switched on, and a metal blade was tossed to your feet, clattering on the floor in front of you with a soft clang. Out of the corner of your eye, you saw a familiar figure standing there. Yesung must've seen it too, tightening his grip on you.

"Looks like we have an unexpected guest," the voice chuckled and your head whipped upwards. You expected no other, and of course, you were right.

Leeteuk had a habit of teleporting in and out of rooms, which frightened you— he was a surveillance camera, watching your every move. By now, you would've gotten used to it, but no matter what, his presence always surprised you.

Especially his entrances. He always entered with such a flourish that declared his arrival to all.

But it all depended on his mood.

Sometimes, you would suddenly feel a pair of arms snake around your waist, or a hot breath tickling the back of your neck. Perhaps even a whisper that seemed to always affect you.

You had absolutely no freedom in this household with dozens of eyes monitoring you, along with his own. You would never know if he was in the room right next to yours, you would never know if he was standing right behind you.

Or in this current situation, in front of you.

"It's a pleasure to finally meet the man behind the mask," Leeteuk continued with a smile, his hand grasped firmly around the handle of his sword. His eyes contradicted his words though, which gave away his true intentions.

As it wouldn't have happened sooner or later.

"And the pleasure is all mine," Yesung gritted, his dark orbs filled with a new intensity that you've never seen before. A glare so cold and piercing that it could penetrate anyone and have them collapse onto their knees in fear. But neither of them faltered.

"A truly impressive show you've put on that night. Perhaps we'll finally get an encore today?"

You bit your lip nervously as you averted your gaze to the one beside you.

"Yesung, you can't—" you said in a hushed voice. But Yesung paid your words no heed as he glared down the other.

"...win him..."

"Might as well, considering how much you must've enjoyed my performance to ask that of me."

Leeteuk beams, his eyes flickering with wickedness. You gasped at his words, dread and worry taking over you as he grabbed the weapon and stood. Yesung staggered ever so slightly as a result of his injuries from the earlier fall, and you grabbed him to help him find his balance.

"But of course, everything comes with a twist."

You gulped and lowered your head as you waited for those very words to spill. You already knew what was coming, but even so, you weren't prepared for what was about to go down. Leeteuk's tongue darts between his lips, while Yesung's hand slips from yours.

You can't.

"Normally, I'd be satisfied if you just gave up and hand her over, but that would end too boringly. I think everyone agrees?" Leeteuk said smugly.

"A small sprinkle of danger always makes everything much more exciting."

You gave a yelp as your body was suddenly jerked back, and you found your hands cuffed. Before you could even react, the chains connected to the shackles began to ravel, dragging you back into a nearby wall away from your butler. Yesung reaches for you but misses you by a hair.

"As expected, the prize is none other than Lady Y/N herself," Leeteuk declares, his voice echoing loudly in the room. "But that's only if you win."

"If you lose, you'll pay the price with your life."