1. Breakfast

§

"Good morning, my lady."

You woke to the sound of a sweet voice, your eyes immediately meeting the ones of your dear butler. He glanced down at you with a soft smile, and you couldn't help but smile back.

What a view to wake up to.

"Morning to you too, Yesung," you said in your sleep-induced voice. You sat up in your bed and stretched, yawning while you were at it. Yesung's smile seemed to widen at the sound of his name, instead of his title from your lips. He goes to pour you a cup of tea from the teapot set on your table.

"You have quite a busy schedule today. You are to have breakfast with your parents at ten, then go with your father to meet the Jang family and have afternoon tea, then finally to meet the son of the Lee family in the evening," he spoke while handing you your tea. You nodded, in thanks for the tea. Yesung pulls out his pocket watch and recites the time. "It is currently 9:30."

Sighing, you finish your cup of tea and gave it to your butler as you stood up to walk to your restroom. "Thank you."

"I shall call your maid immediately." Yesung walked enthusiastically out of the room to retrieve your servant. You didn't understand how someone can be so enthusiastic about their job day after day— the repetition would've already driven you crazy.

Every single day, it was the same routine— you woke up, have breakfast, then go straight to classes which in total occupy more than half of your day already. On days when you don't have classes, you were to meet with other families to strike up alliances, which your father managed.

And if you're extremely lucky, your schedule would be completely free and you'd sneak out into town to explore. Sadly, that only happens once in a blue moon.

Shaking your head, you continue with your morning routine.

When you exited the restroom, your maid bowed and you returned the greeting. She dressed you in a pale green dress that reached down to your knees, with golden accessories to match. She decided to leave your hair cascading down your back, but fit a few emerald pins here and there. Your maid had suggested a pair of green heels, but you denied and instead went for a pair of white flats.

"But my lady..." she started.

"It doesn't look as good, and I can't walk around in heels all day!" You protested. Giving in, she accepts your request and you proudly slip into the flats.

"...and I'll take responsibility if my outfit gets critiqued. Don't worry." The maid exhaled a sigh of relief, and you chuckle.

After you got dressed in your outfit of the day, you made your way to the dining room. Yesung met you outside and briefly, greeted you before leading you inside. As you stepped in, you saw your father sitting at one end of the table, and your mother beside him on the right.

"Good morning, father. Good morning, mother," you dipped your head. Your father gestures you to sit beside him on the left side of the table, across from your mother. Yesung pulls the chair out for you, bowed, then left the room so the three of you could enjoy your breakfast.

"Did you have a good rest yesterday?" Your mother inquired, and you nodded. "And you?"

"Could've been better. Are you ready to meet the son of Mr. Lee today?" She asked with a bit of excitement in her voice. Your face faltered for a moment, but your parents didn't seem to notice.

"Uh, yeah!" You eventually replied with a forced smile.

"That's good. We can't wait to see you walk down the aisle," your father commented. It took every fiber of your being to hold back a scoff.

"Would you mind telling me his name?" You asked mindlessly. Your father gulped down his food and chuckled. "Are you that eager?"

Your eyes widened. "I-it's not like that, I was just curious! If I don't know his name, then how am I supposed to greet him?"

He stole a glance at your mother. "Oh yeah—"

You shook your head in disbelief as your parents burst into laughter.

"I thought you would've already known, but his name is Donghae. Lee Donghae."

Sighing, you immersed yourself in your thoughts. This so-called "Donghae" was already your betrothed, though you haven't even met once. You were worried, as your parents were so willing to marry you away into another family for the sake of the well-being of the family. Did they even care about your opinion and feelings? You didn't think so. You had no say in this, and no benefits from this marriage— other than the fact that your family would now be acquainted with one of the wealthiest, the Lee family.

"Y/N? Are you alright?" Your mother's voice snapped you from your thoughts.

"Huh? Oh! Yes, yes, I'm perfectly fine. Sorry-" you stumbled all over your words. Your father giggled.

"Daydreaming about him already? You don't even know what he looks like!"

You mentally facepalmed yourself. You couldn't even be embarrassed.

"Well, I do- and once you see him, I guarantee that not only will you be daydreaming about him, he'll appear in your actual dreams. He's a charmer," he added. You could only hope for your father's words to be true. That would be one more benefit for you then.