18. Misstep

As Cecilia regained her consciousness, she groaned in frustration as she failed the mission. Her neck was still sore from the strike her assailant gave, and she rubbed the spot, wincing.

Before she collapsed, she had caught a glimpse of her attacker, but she was unable to figure out who it was. And they had heard every single word— Cecilia had foolishly revealed her identity to them. Perhaps she should report this to her master, but she couldn't face him, especially not after that stupid mistake.

But in order to succeed and earn her reward, she needed to complete her side of the bargain. And in things like these, sacrifices must be made.

Exhaling, she changed into a black jumpsuit and left the household for Leeteuk's lair.

As Yesung took off his cloak, you sat him down on his bed and began to wipe his face with a warm towel.

"So? How did it go? Did everyone leave?" You inquired, and Yesung's eyes narrowed.

"Yes, everyone had already left before I even got there," he replied. You raised an eyebrow.

"What do you mean?"

He sighed in frustration. "Leeteuk went to the household searching for you. The place was completely trashed when I got there, and there was evidence of them searching your room. And..."

You paused. "And?"

"Cecilia turned out to be working with Leeteuk. We can't go back there anymore."

Your eyes widened. "Cecilia? As in, the maid that—"

He nodded solemnly, and you were in utter disbelief. One of your most trusted staff members were working with a murderer against you.

"I can't believe it."

"Me neither. She heard me in your room, but I managed to duck under your bed before she found out it was me. Cecilia mentioned something about Leeteuk being unhappy, and that's when I knew."

You nodded as you returned the towel back to the bathroom. "Did she mention anything else? Did you hurt her?"

Yesung snorted. "I was actually debating on whether to kill her or not, but she was our only connection to Leeteuk at the moment. So I left her... somewhat untouched."

"...I rendered her unconscious before I left."

"They rendered me unconscious before they left," Cecilia's voice trembled, unable to read her master's expression. Leeteuk's eyebrows knitted together as he massaged the area between them.

"I can't believe you. How could you let them escape like that? And you were so foolish to reveal your identity to them?" Leeteuk bellowed furiously, slamming his fists down on his desk. Cecilia's eyes widened as she shrunk back in fear, her eyes teary.

"I apologize deeply, sir—"

"Did you at least catch a glimpse of their face?" He exhaled deeply, trying to calm himself down before he actually loses it.

Swallowing, Cecilia reluctantly shook her head. Before he could speak, however, she added, "B-But I think they might have connections to Lady Y/N—"

Leeteuk raised an eyebrow, his anger about to explode. "Do you actually mean it, or are you just trying to fool me into letting you off the hook? This is not something that is to be taken lightly of."

Damnit.

"Er, of course, I meant it...!" She paused as she frantically searched her mind to find a reason to support her claim.

"I-if they weren't, then how could they have gotten into the household? They had gotten in through the front door, for it was wide open. I clearly locked it the night before, so they must own a pair of keys that allowed them in—" she blurted whatever came to mind, her eyes hopeful as she stumbled over her words.

Leeteuk nodded and bit his lip thoughtfully as he listened. His shoulders relaxed as he smirked.

"Very nice observation, Cecilia."

Cecilia blinked as her breath hitched in her throat. Did he believe her? Was she going to live and get her reward?

"However, the mistake you've made was too severe. Our enemy now knows about our secret weapon, and the battle hasn't even begun..." Leeteuk's eyes narrowed. "So you must identify, track down and eliminate your attacker as soon as possible. No excuses."

"Your small misstep will cost us a lot. Now, run along."

Exhaling in relief, her eyes darkened as she nodded and dashed out of the room to complete her new mission. She could not afford to fail again— or else she'll lose her life, along with the reward that she was promised.