~2~

Two years later
Tobias POV

I lay curled up in my bed, my back stinging from the beating I received mere minutes ago.
I had asked about Mom, I know I shouldn't have, it had got him in a rage. I just wanted to know how she died but he decided to lash out.
Silent tears make a winding path down my face. I miss her, so very much. I wish she was here to calm Dad down.
That word 'Dad' did not fit what he was. He has always abused me and yet I long for a time when we can talk in peace. No yelling, no belts, just us talking to each other like any father and son.
That day has yet to come. Twelve years of abuse shows how unlikely it is to come.
My only comfort is Beatrice. Just thinking of her beautiful face makes me happier. I meet her two years back and we've become great friends. I don't know if I could bear the curse of my father without her. She's the only one who knows how abusive he is.
A sharp tap on my window snaps me out of my reverie. I quickly jump up to see who it is but instantly regret it, my back still aching. With a groan I slowly walk to the window.
It's dark outside, our streets having to street lamps, but I have a guess who it is.
"Beatrice?" I ask the darkness.
"I'm here." She whispers back. She steps into the light,"Are you okay? It took you awhile to come to the window." She asks concerned.
I know I can't lie to her so I tell her the truth,"No, I'm not. Marcus lashed out again. I asked him about Mom."
Beatrice's eyes fill with sadness,"I'm so sorry."
She sets her hand on my arm, fireworks explode in my chest and my arm tingles slightly.
"Yeah—um . . . well . . ." I stutter, not able to form a sentence.
She giggles, then sighs,"How about you meet me tomorrow at 7:00 am by the park. We'll talk then."
Happy that I'll see her again soon, I reply,"That sounds good."
"Good, see you then. Goodnight."
"Goodnight."
And she disappears into the darkness.
I lay back down, much happier than before. After a few minutes, sleep takes over and I drift into the world of dreams.