Chapter 21: A lingering feeling

My limbs turned cold as the whole place started spinning inside my brain. Kuroko's soft yet firm statement kept circling inside my mind until I finally found my strength to respond him.

"Wh-what are y-you talking about, Kuroko?" And my stuttering just made everything worse.

"First, let's order something else too. Coffee is not enough to finish all these talking, don't you think?." He said lightly to ease up the heavy tension swirling in the air.

I exhaled. I waved at the waiter once again and ordered some chocolate croissants with another latte while Kuroko asked for a special vanilla cheesecake with another vanilla shake. The tall waiter took our orders with a professional smile, bowed then left us alone.

"Two months after you left, Akashi-kun finally found out... that all those accusations and allegations against you were all fake. A conspiracy against you to break your marriage." Kuroko said emotionlessly.

At this point, ordering croissants seemed like a bad idea to me when my insides felt nauseous. What was he talking about?!

"How did he-- no, wait, why after all these years?" I asked. "And what does he even think by approaching me all of a sudden after all these years?"

"It wasn't all of a sudden. It was hard for him to find you after almost one year. First he thought you went back to... your mother." My breathe hitched hearing Kuroko careful words. "Only to realize that he was wrong. Your mother had no idea where you were."

"Of course, she doesn't." I spat, my words filled with scorn and hatred. Even after all these years I couldn't forgive that woman who brought me in this world. "She is the last person in the world I will go back to. I'd rather die. She's the reason behind all these, in fact."

The waiter appeared once again, served our ordered food on the table swiftly, bowed and left us alone.

"I don't know the details but I knew that you didn't really have a healthy relationship with your mother." Kuroko sighed. I never told Kuroko about my past. I never did to anyone aside from Akashi. "After that his father sent him to Tokyo to take care of their family business. Not long after, Akashi-kun's father retired and Akashi-kun inherited the whole Industry and became the owner of all of his father's shares."

I scoffed in despise. I guess, I was the only one who spent my life in shitty financial problems.

"Life is crazy, don't you think?" I breathed out, taking a bite from my croissant. The soft, sweet crust crushed inside my mouth followed by the heavenly taste.

How I wish everything in my life would be as easy as eating this delicious croissant! Of course, that would be too much to ask for...

Well apparently it was.

"You don't say." Kuroko replied. "Especially yours."

"What's your point then?" I asked getting back to the previous topic. "What do you want me to do after telling me all this? Don't tell me you want me to get back with him after all this no matter what his mistake was?"

Kuroko sighed. "Of course I'm not telling you to get back with Akashi-kun. After all, I'm in no place to tell you what to do in your life." His teal eyes stared deeply into my deep blue ones. I realized that he knew how I felt about his actions years ago.

Before I could reassure Kuroko that it was not his fault that my marriage broke, he spoke again. "But I wanted you to know the reasons. I wanted to tell you that Akashi-kun is very much aware of the mistakes he made in the past. If you're going to take action, I wanted to tell you all the information I knew. Whatever side you take in this relationship, I don't want you to regret it later."

I thought about it deeply for a good one minute.

"That's really nice of you but I know where I stand, Kuroko. No matter what he says or he does, I suffered too much. Way too much than anyone can ever imagine. My life was a living nightmare before I met him and after he left me. You know, it didn't matter if the whole world was against me. I really didn't care--" I felt my voice break in the midst. Kuroko looked at me with sorrowful eyes. "But when your loved ones turns their back on you... do you know how much it hurts?"

Kuroko reached out and touched my trembling hand softly.

"And I have experienced that more than one time, Kuroko."

"I'm sorry, Ena." The moment Kuroko said those words softly, all the barriers inside me broke. "I really am."

I was crying.

I knew everyone was looking at me. I knew that I should stop immediately. I really wanted to. But I just couldn't stop my tears from coming out.

I kept my head down and sobbed silently. I felt the warm hand over mine disappeared only to be embraced by two arms. Warmness filled my whole body as Kuroko came and sat beside me and hugged me. I threw my head on his chest and my eyes wouldn't stop pouring. He lightly patted my back and caressed my hair though he never told me to stop crying.

'It really hurts to see you cry... even then, even now...'

*** *** ***

"Akashi-sama, we are approaching your residence." The driver informed him in a robotic voice as the car kept going in a smooth steady speed.

Akashi nodded his head a little without even bothering to look up from his phone. The day was hectic for him today. Some of the new workers caused some serious issues so he had to go there personally to resolve the matters with his own hands.

Suddenly, he remembered that Kuroko was suppose to come to Kyoto today for some study tour of his school. He informed that the last time he called Akashi.

Akashi checked the time in his watch. 'He must've reached here by now.' Then he dialed Kuroko's number. The crimson haired man waited silently as the phone on the other side kept ringing. After a couple of rings, it stopped automatically. His left eyebrow twitched.

Akashi took his phone from his ear emotionlessly and put it inside his pocket. He looked out of the car window.

Kuroko didn't pick up.

'Well, that's a first...'

_

A/N: FINALLY IT'S 5K+!!! 😄 You have no idea how amazing it feels knowing that there are so many people reading this story and loving it (hopefully!). Many of you said that this is your favorite Akashi fanfic which makes me even more extra happy!🤗🤗 Take my love 💟💟

Sorry, this was a short one.

Thanks for all those precious votes, wonderful comments that literally brightens up my dull day. 😗😗

Edited.