Chapter 2: The idea of my family

When I was 14, one day a good looking middle aged man wearing an elegant, rich, black suit came to our house completely unannounced.

I didn't know him and I doubted if he was some old acquaintance of my mom because we were not that rich or high class family to begin with nor my mom had a lot of boyfriends after my dad died. But surprisingly mom seemed to know him and looked like she met an old friend after many years. She seemed to be happy and relieved.

Before I could say anything about this man's sudden arrival, my mom sent me to my room and told me not to come downstairs until she called me. I obliged as she said. I had no interest in their conversation anyway. And I was necessarily not the kind of girl who liked to poke her nose in every matter. After some time, mom called me downstairs and I came down curiously.

The man in black suit was still there and it looked like their conversation was over.

His dark brown eyes turned at me and offered me to come with him and live with his family in Kyoto. I was confused at this sudden invitation from a seemingly rich and mysterious man. I looked at mom confused and asked her what this was all about.

My mom gave me a reassuring smile. She informed me that I can study there in Kyoto in a prestigious school and live with the man's family. She said that the man was an old, good friend of hers from high school and when he heard that we were going through heavy financial problems after my dad's death, he gave mom this generous offer. My mom's face was looking genuinely happy and relieved.

I agreed to go with the man. However, it did seem a little odd to me, how a man suddenly appeared out of nowhere as my mom's old friend who was so incredibly kind and generous to offer me to live with his family and pay for all of my studies.

Nevertheless, I accepted it. I wasn't the type of girl who would question their parent's decision and oppose it even if it seems unfair. It was honestly too much of a bother to argue. Maybe he really was a good and kind person and a very good friend of my mom.

In one word, I trusted them. The man and my mother.

The next day, I went to Kyoto with the man or mom's friend for a new life leaving my mom at our old house. I was upset about leaving my mother behind at our old house. But she comforted me like she always did. She said she'd come to see me often and I could come to her whenever I wanted. As much as I could remember her smile was warm but a deep sadness was visible in her eyes.

After I reached Kyoto and met the family, I found out that I was not brought here only to study and live with them.

There was something more than that... something more horrifying.

And that wasn't the only thing I got to know.

It wasn't long until I found out that my mother sold me, her only daughter to this man for 30000 yen.

I was shocked hearing the terrifying truth.

'You aren't that ugly. She could've sold you for 50000.' My dark sense of humor kicked in and sneered at me. I was the only one left to laugh at my own misery.

'After all, if she wanted to sell her only daughter, she should've made a good profit out of it...'

I was betrayed, sold, miserable, helpless. I was an unwanted baggage to my own mother. I mean she was forced to get rid of me by selling me to a sadistic family. There must be something terribly wrong with me, right?

I was such a coward that I didn't even have the courage to kill myself. I didn't have enough guts to end myself once and for all.

That was the time I decided to leave my family. Although family left me long ago but I didn't realize it until now. They were never with me in the first place. And all this time, like a pathetically foolish, naive girl, I was clinging onto them like my last shelter, my last hope, my only home.

But when I faced the horrendous truth, I realized that up until now what I was clinging onto was nothing but a hopeless, empty idea of family. There was no home for me to return to. I had no one , not anymore.

That was the time I understood how it feels when your loved ones, reliable ones break your trust...

That was the time I understood how it feels to be left alone and unwanted by everyone...

That was the time, I understood how it feels when someone else decides what your life will be...

And that was the time, from Ena Ichinose I became only Ena.

______________________________

A\N: EDITED.

Vote, comment, share if you think I deserve it or you like it.

||By my leave||