Chapter 57: Interrogation

Start from the beginning

"Yeah it's me." I gulp.

While holding the flashlight, Cameron helps me light the candle next to the nightstand. I expected to see the walls coated in dripping blood, the floor covered in dead bodies, and Brianna transformed into one of those horrid creatures. But, there's nothing on the walls other than the dancing flame, the floor is as clean as I left it, and Brianna is sitting in the middle of the bed with Wilbur in her lap. She has bags under her eyes that make her look immensely tired, as well as a confused look on her face.

"Where did you go?" She asks.

"I went to Cameron's cabin."

Brianna watches Layke and Naomi gingerly as they shuffle into the room behind Cameron and I. Absentmindedly, Layke sets his stuff down and sits on the floor. He takes out his gun and starts to clean it with the bottom of his shirt. On the other hand, Naomi walks to the other side of the room and leans against the wall. She looks around, her face full of curiosity. It looks like she's searching for something that can be used against Brianna. Anything that can prove she's the murderer. I suppose she was expecting dripping blood, and dead bodies too.

"Am I in trouble?" I'm guessing Brianna can sense the tension in the air.

"Did you do anything that would get you in trouble?" Naomi blurts out patronizingly.

"Uh, no?" Brianna says.

I shake my head at Naomi, but all she does is roll her eyes back. Her attitude is really starting to piss me off.

"Brianna, honey." I say with a lighter voice. "We have some questions to ask you if that's all right?" I sit on the bed next to her.

She nods her head.

"Do you remember what happened outside?"

She stares blankly at the ceiling, pondering what to say. "No." She whispers, her eyes avoiding any eye contact.

"I promise I won't be upset at you. And, I promise none of these buffoons will tell on you." I say and raise an eyebrow at everyone.

I can hear her small throat gulp. "Yes, I remember." She pauses as she fiddles with Wilbur's hair. "I woke up outside. I don't know how I got out there. But Scooter was there. He woke me up and told me to go back inside."

"That's all you remember?" I ask.

"No. I came back in here and tried to go to sleep. But I couldn't, because I heard yelling. And I had no idea where you were. I was scared Summer."

"It's okay Brianna. I understand." I put a hand on her knee. "Do you know why you were outside?"

"No. Please don't tell anyone I was out past curfew. I don't want to get in trouble." She pleads with a frown on her lips.

I let out a slight laugh. "That's what you're afraid of? Brianna I was out after curfew too, so if you get in trouble, I do too." I smile.

She smiles back, but it diminishes quickly. "Who was yelling outside? Is Scooter alright?"

"He's fine." Layke barks before I could speak. He probably doesn't want her to know he was taken away, which I wouldn't blame him for.

I'm confused. Why are we so certain that Brianna's the murderer? She hasn't given us any indication that she is, other than being outside after curfew. But that's such a minor reason, and I don't think it's fair to slap the title of 'murderer' on her for just that. For all we know, Scooter could be the murderer and he was leaving his cabin to kill his next victim. It doesn't make sense. There must be something we're missing.