Chapter 53: Scheme

Chapter 53

I could barely sleep last night. I kept tossing and turning, which made me sweat after a while. I felt bad because I probably annoyed Brianna all night long.

My mind kept jumping from thought to thought. The last couple of days have been so overwhelming.

After hours of going in and out of sleep, I decided to get up and get ready for the day a couple hours earlier than normal. Plus, I wanted to tell Cameron about Brianna and I's conversation last night, so I was already anxious to get up.

Even though it was technically still under curfew, I took some of my clothes and went to wash them in the washing hole. I was terrified that another dead body would float to the surface again. Luckily, it never did.

To pass some time, I went to the bathhouse to clean myself up while my clothes dried.

The bath water looked murky in its tub that sat on the ground. I guessed that it hadn't been changed yet from the day before. It really grossed me out. All I thought of was spreading other people's dirt and bacteria all over me. I used a shit ton of soap, hopefully killing any type of infection that the villagers of Moen could have. Hopefully, I don't get in trouble for the using too much. Everyone's supposed to use it sparingly, but that's taking in consideration using clean water, so I'd say I'm excused.

Before I left, I tied my wet hair up into a ponytail, put back on my dirty clothes, and collected my still damp clothes off the clothes line. Then, I headed off to Cameron's cabin. I didn't go straight there earlier because I didn't want to piss anyone off that was still getting their beauty sleep.

I feel good now, better than before. I guess feeling clean can really help your mind clear out all unwanted thoughts. I'm a little sticky though, which worries me. I hope it's not any diseases.

The sun is just below the horizon, casting a subtle glow onto the darkened sky. I can tell it's nearing dawn because the elderly are starting to wake up and start their day. I hurry passed their tents as fast as my little legs could carry my malnourished body and heavy basket of wet clothes. I really did not want judgmental looks and terrified glances, I got enough of those the other day.

The birds are starting to sing their morning songs, and the bugs are humming all around me. The sky isn't clear, the clouds are scattered all around the yellow hue like lily pads in a pond. I suspect it will rain today, which is good. It gives the village more water in their reserve, more water to bath in, drink, and cook with.

Once I walk up the steps to the cabin, I feel at ease. Like my anxieties are not as potent as they were an hour ago. I know that Cameron will help me, even though he's still a little bit pissed at me. Just knowing that I'm not in this alone keeps me away from having a panic attack.

I knock on the door quietly, adjusting the weight of the basket to one arm. To my surprise it swings open in seconds, and I'm greeted with a half-naked Layke.

Does he not like clothes or something?

"Hey Miss Season, what brings you to this testosterone filled abode?" He laughs while unraveling a red t-shirt in his hands. He then puts it over his head and pulls it over his torso, meeting the waistband of his dusty jeans.

"I need to talk to Cameron." I say and let myself in after putting my basket down on the deck. I push past Layke and his subtle flirting like a bat out of hell.

The room was messier than it was the other day, which is hard to imagine. I have no idea how it could get this disastrous. Clothes are thrown everywhere, and it looks like they dumped out their bags all over the ground. A pile of empty water bottles sits in the corner, which is bad because they need to be given back to the café so they can be washed and reused.