Chapter 43: Catch

Chapter 43

"Come on Autumn, these dead ones aren't going to trap themselves." Naomi yells at me from outside the truck.

Naomi wanted to replace the infected I killed done and over with, so that's what we're doing. It's just us two, and I hate every second of it.

We drove Jaw's pick up truck about thirty minutes away from Moen, to a very small town. That's where we've been looking for infected. I swear, this town had to of had about one hundred people in it. So far, I've only seen one grocery store, one diner, one police station, and about three houses. And I've felt like we've been through the whole town already. We've gone down this central road about four times now. The roads are littered with old newspaper and a couple cars. The greenery is completely overgrown, and it's hard to see through it. The sky is starting to get dark, we need to get back soon.

Naomi has these weird contraptions to catch infected with. They're huge spears that are weighted down at the bottom. You set them on the ground, through fences, or on walls. When an infected walks into them, four blades extend from the tip of the spear so the infected can't scoot back off of it. Pretty genius.

We've been setting up these things for a while now, and the road is surrounded by them. There all facing away from the center of it. I'm guessing there's going to be bait in the middle of it. I wonder what the bait is going to be.

Naomi is really getting on my nerves. The only thing that comes out of her mouth is insults. I'm tired of her constant negativity, and I've only known her for half a day. I'll have to get used to it I guess. I'll be with her for a week.

I was assigned to help Naomi do whatever she does, and of course she recommended it be me and no one else. I think she likes pissing me off. Brianna was assigned to help some old women knit clothes, so I know she's safe. What are they going to do, stab her with the knitting needles? Wait, maybe they will...

Layke and Scooter were assigned to help build the houses from sunrise to sunset. A hard job you ask me. They start tomorrow. Cameron is on the hunting team, since he's a good shot. He's out with them now, looking for deer in a nearby forest. That job suits him well. Robbie's stuck in the infirmary until he's better. Last time I saw him he was sleeping, or unconscious. I don't know which one. I hope he doesn't die.

Annddd I'm stuck with Naomi. Oh God help me.

"It's Summer." I scoff as I slam the truck door shut with great force.

"I knew it was one of the seasons, don't really care which one. Eh, summer's my least favorite honestly." She smiles a toothy smile and swings the crowbar as she walks.

I roll my eyes and ignore her. All she's trying to do is get under my skin. "So what's next?"

"Okay now we need to find some infected."

"How? We can't just go wandering around. There could be people that could be dangerous."

"We're not going to walk around. We're going to go on top of a building and take watch." She says as she points to the grocery store about fifty yards ahead of us.

"And then?" I raise my eyebrow.

"Then we attract them over to the circle we made. It's easier to have them impaled on the spikes than to take a dozen on at a time."

"Yeah, I'd like to not get eaten today." I laugh a little. Naomi doesn't seem to like my joke. She looks at me like I'm completely stupid before walking off without a word.