Chapter 24: Escape

Chapter 24

Cameron goes to smash the dome with the butt of his gun.

"No! You'll get glass in her eyes or something." I yell and push it away.

"I don't know how to open it Summer, I have too."

I nod my head quickly, and back away from the table. The glass shatters and I start to wipe it away from her face and body.

After most of the glass is off of her, I violently shake her by the shoulders. "Brianna! Wake up!"

Nothing happens. She doesn't blink, or move, or talk. She looks dead and lifeless. The small white hospital gown covers her body, we can't tell if she's breathing.

Cameron tries to pry open the metal restraints, but it isn't working. He starts to press more buttons, and nothing works.

I take the pocket knife out of Cameron's pocket and snap it open. I dig it into the groove of the metal, trying to separate the pieces. Cameron tries to help by pulling the two clasps apart with his hands. I push with all my weight, and finally the knife goes through, separating the claps. The knife slips, and cuts Brianna's wrist, almost to the bone.

As we move on to the next clasp, I notice that my arm begins to be soaked with something red. I follow the liquid to Brianna's wrist, it's bleeding.

"Cameron look, she's bleeding! She could still be alive!"

Seeing her bleed gives me more motivation to get her out of here. I use all of my strength to get the other clasp free. When it pops open, Cameron starts to unhook the tubes that are connected to every part of her body. The tubes were bound to her skin but metal implants. The tubes snapped into the implants, so it was pretty easy to take them out. But, the implants had to be left in, we would deal with them once we got out of here.

Cameron slides Brianna off the table and carries her in his arms. We leave the room and meet up with the rest of the group in the hallway.

"About fucking time!" Robbie barks.

The door that they are holding is buckling inward. The metal has tons of dents in it. The door could give any second.

"Come on let's go!" Layke yells as he starts to run down the hallway.

As we all make our way down the hallway, I notice my legs start to burn as they pound against the linoleum floor. Everything seems to be going in slow motion. I can see the beads of sweat dripping down Layke's face as he looks to see if everyone's caught up. I look over to Cameron, who is having trouble holding Brianna up. I notice that his black eye looks worse in this lighting. His face is slim, making him look sickly. Robbie's hat flies off, letting his long brown hair flow as he runs.

I don't understand how we could have made it this far. So many bad things have happened in the last three days. It's a miracle that we're all alive. Well, I hope Brianna's alive. I don't know what I would do without her.

As soon as we get to the exit door, the creatures bust in. The pressure from their pushing sends them tumbling on top of each other.

We make it through the door, and into another stairway. I look up and see the many flights of stairs we have to climb.

Layke pulls me up the first flight, "Come on!" His face is full of fear.

My chest feels compressed as I climb, I can tell I'm getting winded. Scooter tries to help carry Brianna so Cameron won't get left behind.