Chapter 34: Resistance

Chapter 34

I frantically look around the room for a weapon. I reach down into the waistband of my jeans.

My gun. Thank God.

I pull it out, the cold metal feels good in my hand. It feels good because all I feel is heat. The pain my body is in sends the warmth radiating through my limbs. It almost feels like I jumped into a hot spring.

It also doesn't help that my brain feels like mush. The ringing in my ears makes it hard to concentrate. My vision is blurry, I have to blink every five seconds to make it go back to normal.

What the fuck did I do? Am I stupid!? Why did I want to help Robbie? Look where it got me. I'm going to die. Scared. Alone. And from one of those horrendous science experiments.

I crawl my way to the bedroom door, and slowly close it shut. I cringe as the door handle clicks into place. Anxiety bloats my body, thinking about if the creatures heard it or not.

It's silent. I can hear faint footsteps coming from the attic, but that's it. I put my back to the door and hope they don't find me. My head is pounding, heart is racing, brain is thinking.

Should I just let Robbie die? I can't just hide in here and wait until they leave, because they won't leave. They'll look for us until they find us.

They're going to find us.

They're going to kill us.

Eat us up.

Slurp our blood.

Lick our bones.

I can't let that happen. My life doesn't end here. It can't. I promised my mother I would keep Brianna safe. I have to try. I have to fight.

But those creatures.

No. I have to beat them. I have to get my group to safety. It's the only way to survive.

You'll fail. You're not fast enough.

Yes I am. I can do it. I have a gun, I'm small I can run somewhat fast. I know this house, they don't. I know where everything is.

They'll kill you.

So what? Then I'll die trying. I have to try. For Brianna, and my mother.

Your group betrayed you.

I can't betray them. They're family.

I take a deep breath and steady myself. I stand up, gun in one hand, my fist clenched in the other. I shake away the pain.

Lets do this.

I quietly turn the door knob and slowly open the door. I peek out, and see the landing. I can see over the railing and down into the foyer. I don't see anything. I open the door the rest of the way and slip out. I bend down as I crack the door, I don't want them to see me. All of the doors on the second floor are shut. They can't be up here. They're downstairs.

I crawl to the staircase. The front door is in a million pieces. Glass is shattered across the floor, big chunks of wood lays around the room. Only a small part of the door is still on the hinges. It hangs, and the wind slowly makes it sway.

Thats when I hear it. A low, animalistic, alien-like, moan.

It's right under me.

I quickly crawl to the wall that's next to the staircase, and put my back against it. I peer around it to get a better look. I see it. It's walking on all fours. It's looks like the rest of the creatures I saw at the compound.