Chapter 33: Detached

Chapter 33

I pinch myself on the arm as hard as I can. I don't wake up. This isn't a dream. I'm really seeing this. They are really there, four houses down the street, attached to utility trucks.

Chains wrap around their bodies, holding them back from releasing havoc on the soldiers. But they're not attacking the ones that stand only a couple feet away. They're standing there, biting at the chains autonomously. There's three of them.

The first one looks enormous. Bigger than any of the ones I've seen. It stands taller than the utility trucks. I wouldn't be surprised if it's over ten feet. It's extremely thin, it's limbs look like skin and bone. The skin is rough and bumpy. Each joint is bulging, they look way to huge for something that skinny. It's arms hang down passed its knees, each fingernail touching the ground. It bends down onto all fours. It's back arches so unrealistically that if it was a human, it's vertebrae would be cut in half. The head is small just like the body, but I can see it's teeth from here. Most of them end just above the upper lip, but the two fangs end up passed it's nose.

The second one is way smaller then the first. It's even shorter then some of the soldiers. It jerks around, having small muscle spasms every second or too. It's eyes take up most of its face. The mouth is small, and it doesn't have a nose. Unlike the dark leathery skin of the first one, this one looks slimy, it's skin resembles a frog's. If I can see correctly, it's body is completely see-through. I can see it's chunky organs floating around in its abdomen.

The third one looks like the ones we saw at the compound. Flaps on its head, dark oozing skin, transparent stomach.

The same Sargent that held us at gun point in the Lab steps out of the car. Huff I think his name was. He walks up to some soldiers, and starts to talk to them. The solider points to a couple houses across the street, this house, and the two next to us.

My eyes widen. They're going to release those things to find us.

I run back into the room, grab my bag and Wilbur's cage, and take off down stairs. I see Scooter at the bottom, waiting for everyone else.

"The creatures, they're out there!" I say once I get down to him.

"Put everything in the van." He says with a fearful look, completely ignoring what I said.

"Why would that be a good idea? They would just shoot us with that huge tank if we come driving down the road!" I yell, as I set down the stuff I was holding.

"You have a better plan?" He asks. "We can't go on foot, they'll find us."

I shrug my shoulders.

"Um, guys!" I see Layke standing at the living room window. "Those... things are back!"

Robbie enters the room from the kitchen, he slowly walks up to the window to see what's happening. He's dressed in jeans and a red and dark blue flannel that's really baggy and has a hood attached to the neck. His long hair is tucked into a black beanie. I quickly look to Scooter to see if he's wearing a matching one, but there's nothing on top of his head. Robbie must have taken it from him.

My body tenses up. I can feel my hands start to shake. I step closer to Scooter unconsciously, and I can tell he notices.

"We can't leave." Robbie's voice is untrusted and weak. Almost regretful. He looks at me and I feel my stomach jump up into my throat. "It's too dangerous. We have to hide in the house."

"Where? There's no basement is there?" Scooter asks.

Layke shakes his head. "But there is a attic." He smirks.