I gave him a moment to visit with Dem, something he did about once a week, before heading back into her room. I sat at the edge of her bed, looking at her delicate features. She'd always been so fierce, so full of life, but you wouldn't be able to see that in her now. Her eyelids fluttered for a moment, but I knew that it didn't mean anything. It was the only movement I had seen her make for a month and a half.

"It's my birthday tomorrow," I told her, taking her hand. "I'll be twenty. You don't need to get me a present, though. Just wake up. That would be the best gift in the whole world."

No response, only silence.

"I love you," I told her. "And I'm sorry. So sorry. This is all my fault. I wish I could-"

Before I could go on, the door opened behind me. I could tell from the sound of her footsteps and her soft sigh when she saw me that it was nurse Sara.

"Are you alright, Mr. Slayer?" she asked, making her way over so she could check on Demona.

"Call me Eros." I'd already told her this every single time she'd called me Mr. Slayer, but she kept at it. I wasn't sure if she was trying to be professional or if she just thought it was funny. She was only a year or two older than I was, so it was ridiculous for her to call me mister and sir.

"Are you alright, Eros?" She smiled at me while she took Dem's vitals – no changes, of course – and fluffed her pillow. "You seem upset?"

I shrugged. "I just got kicked out of school."

"Oh, that's horrible!" Sara put a hand on her chest and shook her head ruefully. "You shouldn't be sitting around here all the time, all alone..."

Surprised, I realized she was flirting with me. That hadn't happened to me in a long time and I didn't care for it now. She was cute, but she was standing over my girlfriend at the moment, smiling at me while jotting down some notes in Dem's chart.

"I'll come and see if there are any changes before my shirt ends," Sara told me, her smile definitely flirty now. "If you're still here by then, we could take some more about your troubles. I really need to go see another patient right now."

I didn't respond and took Demona's hand in mine again, stroking it softly. Please come back to me, I begged her silently. I smiled when I imagined how she'd have reacted to Sara trying to get my attention. No one was cuter than my Dem when she was mad. I preferred her happy, but there was no denying her attraction when she was shooting fire out of her eyes.

I had no intention of leaving tonight, but I knew that it would look bad if Sara came back. She'd think I had been waiting for her. Besides, I did need to talk to someone. I took out my phone and wondered if I should call Simon instead of Dylan, but I could feel through the bond that he was asleep already. So I texted Dylan to let him know what had happened.

He didn't respond, but about half an hour later, he walked in the room and took his usual seat next to me. He smoothed Dem's hair and said hello to her before turning to me.

"So," he said with a sigh. "You finally managed to get kicked out, huh?"

I shrugged. "They want me to go back, but I'm not gonna walk the halls where she used to walk, sleep in the bed where she and I..." I shuddered, memories of that night flooding over me. Her moans, her encouraging words when I questioned whether we should go any further. The joy of finally giving into our feelings and then her lifeless body underneath me, her eyes rolling back in her head, her mouth unsmiling.

"She wouldn't want this for you," Dylan told me for the millionth time. "If she knew you're sitting here every day and every night, that you're not taking care of yourself anymore, refusing to think about your future, hardly taking to your mother... She would hate it."