30: Spring

Content note: carries on off previous themes, including running away and ableism. It also includes brief, undetailed mentions of compliance therapies.

"Okay, start planning the turn."

Winter bites her lip anxiously as she does so, reaching the corner and turning the wheel left. Her car turns slowly into the road and the instructor to her left narrows her eyes as Winter goes up the curb. "Sorry, sorry!" mumbles Winter, pulling back onto the road.

Rebecca watches from afar. There's a draft article on her phone about life as a woman of colour. She flicks into multitasking and selects an app open with the views of multiple women of colour that she's been collecting. But Rebecca can't figure out how to start the article. 

She sighs and turns off her phone. She'll ask Winter when she's finished. 

But just as she turns it off, a notification pops up:

Breaking News: Autism organisation 'Autism Saviour' is under financial pressure, leaked reports say

Rebecca gasps. She quickly opens the article, sits down on the step and begins to read.

Autism organisation 'Autism Saviour' is under financial pressure, leaked reports say

The organisation's future is under threat after an undercover reporter revealed illegal activity and harmful therapies were being promoted to parents and were run by the organisation. Among some of the therapies they offered were compliance therapies, a type of behavioural therapy.

After the report surfaced, many private funding was withdrawn whilst many people called for the organisation's response on social media. Autism Saviour later posted about the report, writing: "We are very disappointed to see that our work in securing the futures of children afflicted with autism is being twisted into something so horrible.". However, many other autism charities and organisations responded.

One user, @AmanciaAllen_008, posted: "@AutismSaviourOfficial Very disappointed that even after you've been exposed you try to play the part of the victim. The real victims are the autistics who have been forced through your 'therapies' and those told they are diseased and broken. They are not. Autistics are strong and amazing.".

As of now, the future is uncertain for Autism Saviour. But many members of the public, as user @AutisticWasp wrote: "Hope your 'charity' doesn't live on much longer".

Rebecca looks up and makes eye contact with Winter. She grins and then goes up the curb.