19: Being Queer and Crayon Plans

Content note: contains depictions ableism, running away and homophobia

Mrs. Himura opens the photo album. "Look, Katherine, this is when you were a normal child," she says, showing her daughter pictures of a small, black-haired baby and a grinning toddler throwing a pillow at her sister. "If only that autism hadn't taken you over, we could still be happy and curing Lucinda."

Katie glares at her mother. "You're wrong," she says loudly. Lucie looks up from her drawing.

"Excuse me?!" exclaims Mrs. Himura. "What did you say, young lady?"

"You're wrong, mum!" says Katie. "I've been autistic since birth! This is my normal!"

"Honey, no!" shrieks Katie's mother. "What are you saying?!"

"Mum, Katie's right. You're wrong," types Lucie. "And the same applies to me."

Mrs. Himura glares at her daughters. "How dare you argue with the facts!" she shouts. "Autism Saviour will cure Katie, and we will get you to speak, Lucie!" she yells. Katie covers her ears. Lucie temper rises.

"Mum! Autism is lifelong! How many times do people have to tell you?! And I probably won't be able to speak the way Katie does, and your ableist junk is never going to even be typed on my phone!" she types angrily. "If you were supportive, I may be able to say short words like 'No' or 'Help' but at this rate, it will never happen! It is your ableism and nastiness that made Katie depressed! There is no such thing as a cure for autism or Down's Syndrome."

Mrs. Himura looks gobsmacked.

But Lucie isn't looking at her. She is still typing furiously.

"And I have a confession. You ableist, and I wouldn't be surprised if you were homophobic too."

Katie's eyes light up.

"Do it, Lucie," she says. "You can do it."

"Mum, I'm gay."

Mrs. Himura's eyes widen. "You're what?"

"I'm gay," Lucie types again. "And maybe I like other gender identities too but haven't figured that out yet."

"I knew it!" shrieks Katie. "Knew it knew it knew it!"

"How?" types Lucie.

"You think you're good at hiding those advice columns from magazines on coming out?" says Katie. "Because you're not."

"You're gay?" says Mrs. Himura incredulously. "But you're too disabled for love, let alone for not being straight!"

Lucie sighs. "Come on, Katie. Let's go upstairs."

About an hour later

"So we are agreed," whispers Katie dramatically. "Mum has gone too far. This is why we are running away."

"Yeah," types Lucie. "I cannot deal with this ableism anymore, and I am not putting up with any homophobia from her."

"So we're going to Amancia's," confirms Katie. "What if she just sends us back to here?"

"We'll remind her of how our parents treat us," types Lucie.

"This is our life. Our parents cannot control how our brains work."

Out on the bridge by the park

"I did well on my music exam."

Winter looks over at Rebecca. "Yeah?"

"Yeah." Rebecca's long brown hair is in a perfect bun. Her dark brown eyes are shining and purple eyeshadow compliments her medium skin tone. She is wearing one of her favourite necklaces - the neurodiversity symbol in silver, dotted with multicoloured gems, and studded with two Stars of David at the clasp. Winter has always admired how open Rebecca is about her religion. It's inspiring.

"Good job."

"You seem... upset." Rebecca notices the slight shine in Winter's eyes. Her girlfriend runs a pale hand through her rainbow hair, which obscures the tears from Rebecca's view. She notices the slightly-chewed fidget bracelet; the bitten nails; the slightly smudged mascara. She hadn't applied the marbled rainbow mascara she normally did - it was just black.

"I'm fine. I was thinking of redyeing my hair." Winter fiddles with a pastel pink strand. "Maybe black and purple?"

"I like your rainbow hair," says Rebecca. She knows why Winter is upset now.

Purple was one of Clarice's favourite colours.

"Yeah, well, black suits my mood." Winter looks really upset and Rebecca doesn't know how to comfort her normally-cheerful girlfriend.

"What is your mood?"

That was a mistake.

"What is my mood?" shouts Winter. "How the hell am I supposed to know? I'm autistic, remember?"

"That's not-"

"Shut up, Rebecca! I'm allowed to be upset, gee! Just get away from me!" Winter storms off in the opposite direction to her home.

Five minutes after midnight, at Emma and Kathleen's home

"I don't know where she went!" cries Rebecca. Her dad tightens her hug. "I'm really sorry, it's all my fault!"

"It's not," assures Kathleen. "Winter gets upset sometimes, and you need to let her cool off. The only thing I'm worried about is where she's got to. It is past midnight."

Ashley whimpers at the door. He refuses to go to his bed until Winter returns.

Five minutes after midnight, at the Himura household

Mrs. Himura and Mr. Himura stand in the kitchen. "I don't know where they've gone," says Mrs. Himura worriedly. "I haven't seen them since they went upstairs hours ago."

"They'll come back," reassures Mr. Himura. "I've phoned the police. They'll find them."

Hello! First of all, don't run away from home. Try to contact somebody you trust. Also, you don't have to put up with ableism. If you need to, do a Lucinda Himura on the ableist.