27: Andy

Content note: carries on off previous themes, including running away and ableism.

Kate pushes Andy into the living room carefully. "I'm sorry you have to miss school today, Andy," she sighs, awkwardly glancing at her son as she reaches for the remote. "But we wanted to look around a few new ones we thought you might like."

"What are they?" asks Andy as he flicks on the T.V.

"Well, there's a religious school, but they're also open to non-Sikhs too," begins Kate.

"That's good. I'm guessing it's not super religious, otherwise you wouldn't suggest it," Andy replies.

Kate laughs. "Don't worry. It is a mainly Sikh school, but you're right, it's not very religious," she says. "And I've checked and it has wheelchair access!"

Andy grins. "Well, that's always good."

Angela enters with bowls of breakfast. "Were you telling him about the schools we're looking at today?"

"Yes," says Kate. "I was just telling him about the religious one."

"Oh yes," says Angela, handing out the bowls. 

"Well, the second school is not religious, but it's a primary and secondary school, so it's very big. There are some staircases, but they have said that they make sure the lessons of all students in wheelchairs are accessible," explains Kate. "You'd still be able to go most places, it's just one of the sixth form areas and the sociology department require stairs, but I looked on their website and they actually have a fundraiser to install a wheelchair lift in those areas!"

"That sounds brilliant!" says Andy excitedly.

"The last one is much closer though," adds Angela. "And way smaller. We haven't seen it yet, so we don't know if it's accessible."

"I'll look around anyway," Andy decides.

Two years ago...

Andy wheeled himself towards the main hall. The crowd of able-bodied people swarmed around him, but a couple of close friends remained by his side as he manoeuvered his chair towards the hall. "Hey, Ed, can you push me? I don't think I can make this turn in one and I can't be bothered to do any more turns."

A short blond brown-eyed white boy nodded. "Sure, Andy," said Ed. He took the handles of the wheelchair and pushed Andy towards and into the hall. All the other students were standing up, waiting for the signal to sit. 

Present day...

In the house of Aasma and Ellie

"Ellie!"

Ellie pokes her head through Aasma's door. "Yo, sib."

"Uh, hi," says Aasma. "Do you have any spare glue sticks?"

"What, for the hot glue gun?" replies Ellie, heading towards some drawers. "There's some here, catch."

Aasma's quick reflexes allow them to quickly turn and grab the stick. "Thanks, sis."

"What are you making?" says Ellie, sitting on Aasma's mint green bed.

"Just a wooden model, nothing too special," says Aasma, fastening a thin cuboid of wood onto the main model.

"What of?"

Aasma sighs. "I'm not really sure, to be honest."

Just like how I'm not sure of anything anymore.