Chapter 4

“Guys! Guys! Ryan’s gone!” Kris cried as everyone stared at him in shock, caused by the news and Kris’ tears.

Kris was never the type to cry, but Ryan, who acted like his guardian angel, protecting him at all costs, was missing. Kris felt no choice but to let his tears escape his chocolate-like orbs.

As Kris’ body shook in Jennie’s arms, Jennie looked over at Rocky whose eyes told a story of guilt, fear, and insignificance, a story that didn’t fit with his rough personality.

Jennie locked eyes with Lisa, who was comforting Rose. They were able to read each other like open books, they both knew that they had to stay strong, to not break down like the rest because they wouldn’t solve their dilemma with tears. They knew that never worked.

As the group mourned over their missing friend, Lisa stood and spoke up, “Look! I know that h-he’s gone, but we have to keep on going! Our broken selves won’t be able to solve anything! We have to be strong!”

As Rose wiped her glistening tears away, she stood up and her eyes showed nothing but fury.

“Lisa! He was our leader! Our responsible brother! It’s like losing a part of us!” Rose yelled as she skedaddled to her room, leaving everyone else in shock at her remark.

As Rose slammed her door shut, she ran over to to the cerulean door that connected Lisa and her room together and locked it. She wanted to be left alone in the darkness that surrounded her. Her heart was starting to become as dark as her surroundings. She curled herself up in a ball, trying to become as minuscule as possible, wishing she could disappear from this world.

As she spent time alone, she reflected on herself, her decisions and the world. She felt useless as she realized how many tears she was able to shed in a day. Everything and everyone felt so far away, disconnected, just like strangers, and she felt alone.

“Why Ryan? Why not me? I hate life, I want to…disappear,” Rose whispered as she wiped her salty tears away.

“I can help with that,” a raspy voice from next to her bed replied, causing shivers down Rose’s body.

When she turned to her left, she was met with a beautiful pair of eyes that glimmered in the slits of moonlight which shone through the blinds. Those eyes were the only thing visible in the dark, but they were familiar to her and her heart throbbed in pain the more she stared.

Soon, she was brought back into reality when she felt a sting on her leg. She looked horrified at the mysterious stranger, who had a syringe in their hand, which was now empty. Her gaze then left the stranger, who was burning their own gaze at her, to her leg where the pain was pounding the most.

As her gaze fell back to the stranger, her eyes watered, and the stranger mumbled incoherent words.

“I told you that I… was gonna help,” the stranger hesitantly spoke, breaking the painful silence as he stood up and held his hand out. “T-take it before it has full effect.”

As Rose hesitantly took their hand, she started to feel weak, and she guessed it was the chemical finally taking its full effect.

“Don’t worry, I’ll make sure to get you there safe,” the stranger assured Rose as he opened the window.

As Rose wasn’t conscious at the moment, the stranger gingerly got her out of her room, into his car’s backseat.

And as the car got farther away, Lisa had the idea to check up on Rose.

An idea that changed the fates of the remaining friends.