Chapter 14

Not for the first time, morning arrives far too soon. Cas is laying on top of him again, and Dean decides that this is probably going to be a regular thing. He kind of hopes it is.

"Good morning," Cas says in a gravelly voice, lifting his head and nosing at Dean's throat.

Dean grunts and rolls over, taking Cas with him and pinning him underneath his body. Cas smells sleepy and content, adding aroused to the mix when Dean licks and sucks each of his nipples.

"Mine," Dean growls against his skin, scraping his teeth lightly across the tendons of his neck. He's wary to do it, but the soft sigh that escapes Cas' throat is definitely a good sign.

"Still feeling possessive this morning, hmm?" Cas hums, arching his back up. Dean smiles and looks down at his blue eyes, pushing dark hair off his forehead. He responds by kissing his mate senseless, licking into his mouth and swallowing every sound of pleasure he makes.

Every instinct is telling him to knot and mate and breed, to claim, but Dean knows he has to wait until his mate wants that too. Still, that doesn't stop him from gently rocking his hips against the slick between Cas' legs.

"You're going back to your den today," Cas says, not a question. Dean mouths at his throat and holds him tighter. He doesn't want to go back to patrol. "When?"

"Afternoon," Dean sighs, nipping at Cas' lips and kissing his words away. His cat's fingers tighten fractionally against his skin, a tiny whine in the back of his throat. "How should we spend the day?"

Cas kisses him a couple more times before responding. Those few make his heart race, make his blood rush south.

"I would like to spend the day knotted with my mate."

All the air in Dean's lungs leaves him in a rush. He searches Cas' face for any kind of uncertainty, and finds none. Cas looks sure of himself, and there's that determination again.

"Cas..."

"You said just last night," he says, nosing at Dean's jawline. "It's not last night anymore."

"Yeah, I got that," Dean chuckles, pulling back to stare into his eyes. "But we don't have to—"

"I know."

"And you want to—"

"Yes."

"Even though—"

Cas groans dramatically, rolling his eyes. "Dean. You may be the only alpha on the planet that I would have to work this hard to have sex with. You have a very aroused, very willing omega quite literally underneath you, who also happens to be your mate. Can we stop acting like this isn't something we both want?"

Well. All of that is true. It isn't like he's pressuring Cas to move this along too fast. Right? This is all Cas' idea. And. Why's he still saying no?

"Tell me why you're so hesitant."

Dean blinks down at him, and does his best to put his worries into words.

"Just...want you to want me. Not alpha and omega, not mates driven by some, friggin' biology thing, not our animal instincts. Just. You and me." Dean swallows thickly, the words weighing heavy on his tongue. Cas furrows his eyebrows and stares up at him for a long few seconds before responding.

"I cannot promise you that this has nothing to do with instincts, or being mates. I'm not sure what it's like to want you as something other than my mate, because that is what you are. My mate. But I can tell you that I do want you. Outside of instinctual needs, I want you, Dean."