Chapter 13

He doesn't shift, because he doesn't have the time. And words will probably come in handy. It takes him a little longer to make it out there on foot, instead of paws, and he knows before he even arrives that Jo beat him there.

Castiel is sitting on the rock, his legs crossed and a serene look on his face. Dean knows better. There is fire in those blue eyes. Jo is wearing her wolf, her teeth bared and her stance tense. She's ready to leap at a second's notice. Dean jogs up and slows down, his gaze flicking back and forth. Castiel is staring right into Jo's eyes, and neither of them seems likely to back down soon.

"Hello, Dean," Cas says smoothly. "Nice of you to join us."

Jo snarls.

"You cross the sensors on purpose?" Dean asks, shifting his position so that he's standing between Jo and his mate.

"I needed your attention. It worked."

"You're a dumbass," Dean growls. Cas just shrugs. "Jo, you can relax. I know him."

Jo stops baring her teeth, but she's still growling. She tears her gaze away from the intruder to glance at Dean, squinting her eyes suspiciously.

"It's okay. He's a good guy."

"You've decided to believe me then," Castiel chimes in, and Dean definitely doesn't miss the snark in his tone. He ignores him though, focusing on Jo.

"I'm back on patrol tomorrow," Dean says. He wishes he had more time, but he knows how much his presence is needed right now. "I'll tell you everything then. Just give me tonight."

She growls and shifts her feet, flexing her claws in the dirt. He knows, 'cause he knows Jo, that she's not going to give this up easy. Dean turns and puts his back to Cas, squaring his shoulders towards Jo and planting his feet wide. He rolls his shoulders back and stands tall, letting his wolf out just a little bit. Dean is more dominant than Jo is, and he doesn't like going all alpha on her but he doesn't have much of a choice. Still, he tempers it a little bit, avoids issuing any direct commands. He's already putting his relationship with Cas on display here, showing Jo how much he trusts him by putting the cat at his back. She might not know the nature of the relationship yet, but she definitely notices.

"Jo, drop it. Please."

Jo's eyes flick back and forth between Dean and Castiel several times before she seems to make up her mind. She barks at Dean and bares her teeth at Cas one more time before jogging off into the woods, towards the den, and Dean thinks that that's a good sign.

"You comin'?" Dean grumbles, avoiding eye contact and turning to climb up into one of the trees along the territory line. He doesn't need to set off the sensors again.

"No thanks."

Dean stops, turns to see Castiel happily sitting on the rock still. His arms are crossed, and there's a defiant look on his face.

"No?"

Castiel unfolds his legs and strolls over to Dean, taking his goddamn sweet time about it. He stops when there is only about an inch between them, and Dean's brain is already getting muddled by the proximity of his scent.

"No," Cas says simply.

Dean rolls his eyes and grabs Castiel around the waist, spinning and using his whole body to pin him up against the wide trunk of the tree. Dean can see the smile in his eyes.

"Can you get your ass up the tree so we can leave," Dean growls, resisting the urge to kiss him. Now is not the time. Cas just sighs and rolls his eyes at the display.