Chapter 12

"Uh huh," Dean says, narrowing his eyes. "So what, you just a good guesser?"

"I suppose," she says with a serene smile. "There are only five Hunters, no? Two females, three males. All alphas. Of the males, only one is unmated. John has two sons, both Hunters. And your brother is expecting pups, is he not?"

Dean bites back a growl. She isn't being threatening, he knows that, he knows their packs aren't friends. Still, it puts him on his heels that she seems to know everything about the Pack and he knows next to nothing about them. Especially that she knows about Sam, somehow. That worries him the most. He tries not to think about how he'd told Cas about the pups, because it's likely that that's how she knows.

Cas blinks, his mouth opening like he's going to speak and then closing before he tries again. "Your father is on the Council? The one that threatened to put you down?"

"Threat came from Dad himself," Dean huffs, forcing a bitter smile. Cas looks pissed.

"How could he—"

"He's taking care of the Pack," Dean interrupts, eager to defend. His dad might be a dick, but he knows what he's doing. "If he did it, it would've been necessary."

Before Cas can respond Anna is speaking again, and her words automatically make Dean's entire body go rigid.

"Well Castiel, you certainly wasted no time going straight for the top of the Pack," she says with a knowing smile. "It will be helpful for us to have Dean in the coming days."

In the coming days? The fuck does that even mean?

"Sorry? Not sure I follow."

"Oh, it's nothing really," Anna says casually, ignoring Cas' hissed Anna, stop it. "The Pack doesn't trust us, and your Council has been uncooperative. Now that we have you, someone highly ranked and highly respected, on our side, swaying your Council should be no problem at all."

Dean looks at Cas for some kind of sign, but there's nothing. His blue eyes are wide, and his mouth is clamped shut, and that's all Dean needs to see.

"I'm not on your side," Dean snarls, immediately feeling guilty when the baby makes an unhappy noise. Cas says his name but he ignores him, standing up and storming into the woods. He's being childish, but there's blood rushing in his ears and his wolf is growling and his vision is edged with red. His dad was right, about these cats. Right all along.

He doesn't want to believe that this is about his position in the Pack. He really doesn't. But fucking hell he doesn't even know Cas. The guy could be the biggest fucking liar on the planet and Dean would have no idea. He'd acted like he hadn't known about Dean's dad, but that was probably a huge act. Cas had probably known the entire fucking time, and Dean is just the sap who fell for his shit. God he's a fucking idiot. Sure Cas smells like fucking ambrosia, like Dean's personal heaven, but he's an omega. That's what omegas smell like. Like home and happiness and peace and mate—

Fuck.

Dean is so caught up in the raging storm of his own thoughts that he barely feels Cas' hand on his arm, barely hears his rough voice.

"Dean, look at me."

He growls and pushes Cas' hand away, careful not to shove too hard. His voice, when he speaks, sounds far away and way too foreign.

"You lied to us."

Cas' eyes are sad, but his face is neutral. Dean can smell his worry all over him.

"No, I didn't. I didn't know about your father."

"The red one knew," he snarls, baring his teeth. "You knew. You told her about our brother."