Chapter 7

Cas doesn't follow him back to the territory line. Dean already smells like him, but he doesn't need to make it worse by bringing the source of the smell along. He walks back, too, not feeling up for a shift yet. His wolf is irritated that they are leaving their mate, and Dean knows he'll have less control if he shifts. When he gets back to the rock, the spot he crossed over, it's to find Sam already there waiting for him.

Sam smells distressed, and it puts his wolf right on edge. It's too soon to be feeling like that, he knows, and he thinks he might have another problem sooner rather than later. Still he crosses over into their territory, takes the punch that Sam throws against his shoulder and lets his brother pull him in for a hug.

"What the fuck, Dean," he growls, half worried and half pissed off. "You don't come back all day, then you just run off? Where in the hell do you get off disappearing like that?"

"I know, Sammy, I—"

"We thought you were gone, Dean. Dad was about to send out a fucking search party, and not the friendly kind. You knew about the sensors, Dean."

"Fuck, Sam, I know. And—"

"And another thing. What the hell would've happened if one of the leopards caught you in their territory? Do you even know what that could do to this agreement? To our Pack?"

"Uh," Dean stutters, "Sammy, about that—"

"Then you just stroll back in here? Like you're fine now? Because I don't buy it, Dean. So whatever you're doing, don't think you're getting it past me. If you're tranq-ing your wolf then—"

"Jesus," Dean growls, shoving his brother away and interrupting his tirade. "Let me get a fuckin' word in, Sam. I'm not tranq-ing my wolf."

Just the thought sends a shiver down Dean's spine. His wolf may be, well, vibrant, as Cas had said, but Dean would never tranq it. Drugs like that are for assholes who don't deserve the privilege of shifting in the first place.

"How are you doing it then?" Sam snaps, crossing his long arms. "Because I know it's not any of the girls they're bringing in. Hell, you practically ripped that last girl's head off for being in your room. But you've got some kind of temporary fix, so what the hell is it?"

Dean sighs and waits. He knows he's carrying Cas' scent. His brother will figure it out. A few more seconds of angry breaths and Sam's whole demeanor changes, his entire body language shifting to something much softer, much less threatening. Dean stuffs his hands in his pockets and tries not to stare at the ground.

"Um, Dean? Who is that smell?"

It's telling that his brother jumps straight to who, and not what. Dean thinks about lying, but he needs somebody on his side here. Sam is better than anybody else.

"A cat named Cas. Er, a panther, actually." Dean corrects himself automatically. Sam takes a full minute to process this, his eyes scanning Dean's face.

"Why do you reek like a leopard?"

Dean rubs his hands over his face and sighs. This is a blast.

"I do not reek. He just kept friggin'...touching me man. I dunno."

Sam raises his eyebrows, disbelief painted all over his face. "Lemme get this straight. You made a little kitty friend. And he was...petting you? To calm you down? And you let him?"

"No," Dean growls, even though yeah, that's totally right. "Shut up."

His brother laughs and crosses his arms. "C'mon, dude. No way you expect me to believe that."