•c h a p t e r 40•

Where did that come from!?

The table and chairs get pushed to the side by the force of the wind and the curtains are dancing angrily out of the doors. Masked men repel down rope onto the balcony where Luca is still standing, arms crossed. He doesn't look scared but I am.

"No no no no no no." I cry out.

Why can't I just have a happy ending? Why can't people leave Luca and I alone?

I move towards the doors when Luca turns towards me. For a second, I see fear in his eyes but it's gone as quicky as it appeared. The men land across the balcony but Luca's eyes don't leave mine.

"I love you." Is all I hear over the hum of the chopper before he shuts the doors and rigs a chair against it.

I run and bang my fists against the door, push and pull the knobs trying to wiggle the chair free but it's all in vain. I can do nothing but look out. Helplessly, I watch men put a hood on Luca, wrap him up and haul him into the helicopter. I scream but I can't hear my voice. Maybe it's because of the noise or that my body has finally given up.

Then it clicks. There is a gun in the desk I was sitting at. Running there, I grab the cold metal piece and turn the safety off.

Yeah, I learned a lot from YouTube.

Not bothering to change first, I shoot the door and burst onto the patio in time to see the last man climb in the pit of the chopper. Angered and having nothing left to lose, I shoot at them, unloading the clip. Over the noise I hear a strangled cry and I smile knowing I hit one of them.

Good.

Unfortunately, they have guns, many more than me and much bigger too. I run into the safety of my bathroom as they destroy the bedroom with flying bullets. It sounds like a war zone with the cracking, shattering and piercing noises invading my happy place. It goes by so quickly but then the swoosh and hum of swinging blades is suddenly gone.

I emerge from the bathroom at the same time that Nick burst through my door looking like Rambo with ammunition hanging over his shoulder and a bandana on his face. Nate follows behind with a simple revolver and Michael is holding a broom.

"What. . What happened?" Someone asks me but I'm too distracted.

I examine the room that held my last good memories with Luca in it. Everything we touched together is destroyed. The bed that he let me take the lead in, the floor where we danced and the balcony where he stood just twelve hours ago saying goodbye; it's all beyond repair. My stomach churns.

"He's been taken." I whisper.

"Who?" Nate walks up to me and puts a hand on my exposed shoulder. Only then to I realise I'm still in the bed sheet that's barely hanging on.

"Luca. He was here and then. . they took him."

A heavy silence fills the room. What can they say? 'We told you two not to be together because of this exact situation'. . or 'don't worry he'll be fine, he's been through worse.'