•c h a p t e r 39•

A/N: Play music at the (*)__________

__________

Did he just. . . just say he loves me?

His fingers touch my cheek so gently that I want to curl into his embrace and stay there indefinitely. . . but my skin still pricks from being touched. I take a step back, not because I'm afraid of Luca - although knowing what they think he's been doing this whole time should make me feel some sort of way - but instead, I step away because I don't want to ruin the night.

I don't want to touch Luca and feel Him.

When I look up at Luca, he has unshed tears in his eyes, one blink sends a few of them out. I use the pad of my thumb to wipe away the only evidence that he's also hurting. I suddenly feel his warm hands on my curves, pulling me close and holding me tightly.

"Luca. . " Am I pleading for him to let go of me or to pull me further into his embrace?

I don't know.

I don't know anything anymore.

"I have to go." He whispers almost to himself but he doesn't move. If anything, his arms tighten around me even more.

My body wants to panic from his touch but my brain reminds me of how lovingly Luca held me all those nights ago and my heart reminds me of how wonderful it felt to let myself be loved by him.

"Don't go." I push my body against his, returning his affection.

His eyebrows gather together while he has his internal battle. I can't begin to understand what's happening in his mind but I know that I need him. We just need time to figure things out. A few days and some brainstorming and I'm sure we can fix things, find a loophole or something. I'm grasping at air in hopes of finding a way to keep him here with me.

"Stay with me tonight. We can figure everything out in the morning but for now, please stay." I beg.

He noticeably gulps as I trail my hands up his arms. Wrapping my hands around his neck, I let my fingers play with his very grown out hair at the nape of his neck. When I loop one of the curls around my fingers, it sends shivers down his body.

"Scissors, I did not come here expectinganything from you." His words heavily laced with grief and pain, holding a deeper meaning.

I place my head on his chest and let the beat of his heart sooth my ever present anxiety. Him and I are having the same battle just for different reasons. He probably blames himself for what the Director let happen to me while I do my best to forget.

"Dance with me." Luca say with a timid smile.

"You dance?"

He shrugs. "I was tortured as a child and forced to take ballroom lessons but I have never danced with a woman outside of class. Until tonight."