Chapter one

Tris POV:

Today i take the test. The test will tell me what job i go into. Am i a teacher, a trainor? Am i am instructor? Am i a patrol officer? Or am i am maker? Our founders divided us into 12 districts and then further into 5 jobs within the districts. Every year they hold a Death Games to mark the anniversary of when the districts revolted. This is the 25th year, that means a quarter quell. Only one person can win, this means we fight for our survival. Two people from each district go in. A boy and a girl tribute.

We aren't allowed to socialize with the other districts, not even at work. The only place we are truly allowed to is at school. Even then no one does. Before we take the test we all have to line up outside the classrooms. A boy from district 2 comes towards district 12. He's smartly dressed, in pure white clothes. He must be from a family of teachers, i think. He stops at a boy a couple of people in front of me.

"Do you even know how to dress!" He yells. Silence. "Hey, I'm talking to you. Are all you peasants deaf or something? Hey!" A hand falls on my shoulder just as I'm about to confront the boy. "Tris, don't." Four says. Me and Four have known each other since we were born, both our parents are friends. He is older than me by 6 months. We used to go on play dates. Now we go on actual dates. We've been seeing each other for a while but our parents still don't know. We are waiting for the right moment. Four doesn't know this, but if he gets picked as tribute i will sponsor him with all the money i receive. The doors to the classrooms open and we are registered.

Each district has their own sets of tables. All that we can do is wait. There are 12 individual rooms. They call twelve people at a time. Because we are famous for being the makers the government trusts us to administer the tests, we also made them. However sixteen year olds from district twelve can't be tested on by their own people, we get tested by district five and nine. In the next group of twelve mine and Four's names are called. I would wish him luck but i know he won't need it.

Word Count: 408