Chapter 33- Homebound

Start from the beginning

It turns out that the knob is actually open and dragging our luggage, Jace and I follow her straight away as she barges into their own house like a little girl who just got inside a kiddie playhouse for the first time.

Lance is in the living room wiping some clouds of dust from their framed pictures in the wall, totally oblivious about our earlier arrival. He turns around and drops his jaw in surprise upon seeing us. His gaze stops at his sister, eyes growing wider in disbelief.

"Hey, Buddy!" Emily bursts out in glee.

"M-mom!"Lance cocks his head to the kitchen's direction and stutters with his eyes gawking at us. "T-they're here! They're here now!" He joyously stutters before running towards his sister to hug her.

My heart is swelling at this moment. It's my first time seeing Lance being sweet to Emily. As he goes to hug me and Jace as well, Rebecca's head pops in from the kitchen.

"What are you talking about? It's only ten in the morning and they are—"

Her face instantly lights up when she realizes that Lance is actually not kidding like what he always does. Her small frame trembles with utter joy as she sprints her way toward Emily.

"Oh, good Lord! It's really you! My Lily! My Lily!"

Emily snuggles in her mother's arms as they finally settle in each other's loving embrace. "I miss you, Mom."

Happy tears start streaming down Rebecca's cheeks. "I miss you more! Oh, God. I can't believe it. You're finally here!"

Emily's body melts into her mom's as her every muscle lost its tension. I can now list this moment as one of my favorites in my whole life.

Rebecca breaks from the hug and presses her daughter's face between her hands.

"My God. Just look at you! Your face became so thin! And you look so stressed out!" She studies Emily's face as the latter brushes those tears of joy from her cheek with the back of her hand.

"And what is this? What have they done to you?!" She tearily asks as she inspects Emily's arm which is lined with dark purple bruises from those injections.

"I'm going to be okay, Mom. They will lighten over the next coming weeks," Emily defensively explains while moving her arm away from her mother's sight.

"Are you sure? Are you okay now? How are you feeling now?" Rebecca asks further and Emily assures her with a small nod.

"Alexander..." she slowly turns to me with that yearning look on her face. I didn't waste any second. I close the gap between us and my world seems to have stopped with her embrace and my mind has never been this at peace.

"Thank you, for saving my daughter. You're an angel. " I can feel her warm smile against my shoulder.

I stroke her back and pull her closer into my chest. "It's all good now, Rebecca. It's all good."

She pulls away from my hug and again reaches for her precious daughter whom we all love.

"I wouldn't have made it without Jace," I transfer the spotlight to my best friend, the real hero here, who is just quietly watching us with a smile in his face.

Rebecca goes over him and hugs him as well.

"I thought you're arrival will be in the afternoon. We haven't finished preparing this "Welcome Back" party for the three of you. Everyone has been anticipating for this day, and they are all here now." she glances at me and continues, "Your father and his family are also coming over in a while."