Chapter 69: Nightingale

"So, are you in a new foster home?" Lydia asks as we walk into the school.

I shake my head. "I was adopted," I reply, giving as little detail as possible. I don't want her finding out that I was adopted by Demi Lovato. I want her to like me for me, not for Demi.

"That's awesome!" Lydia squeals.

"Um, what brings you here?" I show Lydia to the office to pick up her schedule.

She sighs. "My dad got another new job. He really wants to work in management and keeps taking any job that he thinks might get him there."

I feel bad for Lydia. Moving sucks.

School was a lot better than school ever had been and the next day I invite Lydia to come over. I'm worried about letting her in too quickly and introducing her to Demi. I know that Lydia is a Lovatic because she is the one who introduced me to Demi's music about a year ago.

After school, Lydia and I board the bus excited. 

"I can't wait to meet the people that adopted you!" Lydia says excitedly.

"Yeah," I say, "There's one thing though. Um... please don't freak out when you meet her."

"Why?" she asks as we get off the bus and walk down the street towards Demi's huge house, "Did a celebrity adopt you or something?"

"Something like that," I say as we step into the house.

"Mom!" I call out for affect. I've never actually called her mom.

"You've never called me mom befo-" Demi pauses as she looks at Lydia.

"You were adopted by Demi Lovato!" Lydia half-screams in excitement.

I nod and after Lydia talks to Demi for a little while, we go up to my room and spend the afternoon together.

Demi knocks on the door around supper time and says, "Lydia, I'm going to bring you home now, and Hayley, I will try to get home by 7 tonight. I'm going out."

I nod and act as if it doesn't bother me that Demi is leaving, probably to be with Wilmer again. 

"Make yourself supper!" Demi adds as Lydia and her leave me in the large house alone.

I've managed to make it a few weeks without cutting, but if Demi doesn't even care, I decide to cut myself a few times to try to get over the pain of Demi leaving. 

I don't make myself supper. What's the point?