Chapter 53: Different Summers

The next few weeks pass quickly before it's time for me to go back to school for my tests. Demi drives me to the school and I go into the main office.

"Hello," I say, a little nervous. "I'm Hayley Lovato."

The secretary nods and leads me into a small room with an individual desk. "Come see me if you need any help," she explains, handing me four booklets, each for a different subject.

As soon as she leaves, I get to work on the tests. I want to finish by lunch, so that I won't be here for the social part of school. That, to me, is enough motivation to work hard.

I finish the tests around 12 and hand them into the secretary, then call Demi.

"Are you finished?" she asks.

"Yeah, are you too busy or can you come?" I reply with a question.

"I'm coming right now," Demi says, hanging up.

I leave the school, wait for a few minutes until I see Demi, then climb into the passenger seat of her car.

"You're done!" Demi exclaims, hugging me.

I smile and nod. "Finally."

-----------

As summer vacation starts, I realize just how busy Demi actually is. I'm frequently home alone and easily get away without eating lunch; the other meals though, not so much. I either exercise or lay around most of the days and also work on my music. Demi still doesn't think that I'm recovered enough to continue recording, but I'm trying to be very convincing.

"I'm home!" Demi calls, on a day in late July.

I run down the stairs and hug Demi. "Hi!" I exclaim in reply.

"How was your day?" she asks.

"Good," I reply.

"Your birthday's coming up," Demi reminds me.

"You remembered?"

"Of course! August 7th. You're going to be 14!"

I smile.

"I'll make supper," Demi says, leaving me and going into the kitchen.

I sit in the living room with a book and wait for Demi to finish making supper. Although I think she loves me, when she leaves me home alone constantly, I'm starting to wonder if she even cares anymore; at least she pays less attention to my recovery this way.

"Hayley! Supper!" Demi calls.

I sigh, then join Demi for supper. Please don't let me be alone on my birthday.

-------------

April 10, 2019- Today is my birthday and I've been working really hard so I'll try to get as much as I can published today!