Chapter Fifteen: The Dead Marshes

Start from the beginning

He noticed, with every word, that Aria's face paled considerably. She looked drained as it was, bags under her eyes and shoulders drooped.

Legolas stood by her side, worry in his blue eyes.

"You don't know of what you speak," Aragorn growled, visibly trying to restrain himself. "I suggest you don't pursue things you don't understand."

"I suggest you stop keeping secrets."

"Do you really want to go for another fight?" The irritation was written all over Aragorn's face now. "Because I can guarantee you won't win."

"Maybe I'll at least get to stab you again."

"Would both of you stop it?!" Elanor broke in before Aragorn could even utter another word. "Dear Eru, it's like the both of you are children."

Robin scowled.

With a shake of his head, Aragorn turned away, back toward Aria. Legolas had managed to wrap her cloak around her shoulders, but the woman was swaying tiredly on her feet.

Painfully aware of the seemingly accusing glares on him, Robin shook himself, pulling back out his bread. Whatever.

He would figure out their secrets soon enough.

"We should pick up the pace again," Gimli's voice broke the air, though his tone was cautious.

Looking at the dwarf, Aragorn nodded, rubbing at his eyes. The bruises were evident on his face now and it looked as though his shoulder had started bleeding lightly again at some point. "Those creatures from last night were no wargs. We need to ride as far as we can while there is still sunlight, and be prepared when nightfall."

"You think they'll come back?" There was an edge to Thralor's voice.

"It would be a blessing from the Valar if they didn't," Elrohir mumbled. "Werewolves... Arwen would never believe it."

Robin's mind flashed back to the man-- had he been just a werewolf? The others hadn't transformed like he had, but perhaps Robin had just been the lucky target.

He kept his mouth shut.

"This path will take us straight through the Dead Marshes," Legolas's voice broke the air as he spoke up. "We will all need to be on our guard."

"The Dead Marshes." Gimli rubbed a hand down his red beard tiredly. "This trip just keeps getting better and better."

Legolas's lips twitched in a half smile.

The real blessing was that all the horses were tied up and intact-- though, it seemed they hadn't been the target of the werewolves. Mounting Gilroc, Robin scratched behind the mare's ear affectionately. The horse whinnied and tossed her mane, seeming happy to be free from the ropes.

Faintly, Robin felt eyes on his back and gazed sideways to see Elanor watching cautiously. When she caught his eye though, she clicked her tongue, prodding her own horse forward and away.

Robin narrowed his eyes, watching the little group of Gimli, Legolas, Aria, Elanor, and Aragorn all riding close together, whispering words that he could only catch a few of;

Beorn and provoke.

Then Legolas gazed over his shoulder for a moment, blue eyes going over the group and pausing Robin. The elf's leg suddenly kicked out and caught Aragorn in the shin-- Robin scowled as the king sat straighter, gazing back at him.

The five split up, then.

Bloody orcs.

Scowling, Robin nudged his own horse forward, riding past the others and taking the lead. He lifted his head, practically feeling the dark stares of the others burning into his back.