Silence filled the air for a long time.

"You know?" Tiffany suddenly drawled, smirking at them. "He makes a good point."

Cassidy huffed but sat down beside Diane and said nothing else. I washed the dishes in silence, hands moving through the soapy water, yellow sleeves pushed up to my elbows. I sighed through my nose, staring at nothing, fingers scrubbing automatically.

I was lost in my own head with half-formed visions of what had been done to me so far flitting through it. It was unreal how much had happened in such a short amount of time. I tossed a stray strand of hair over my shoulder and kept scrubbing, trying to lose myself.

Lose myself I did not.

With a sudden bang that made the female werewolves behind me bolt upright, Sebastian stormed into the kitchen with no warning whatsoever and grabbed my splinted arm, jerking me around. I jumped when I found myself staring into a set of furious-looking yellow irises.

"Come with me," he growled, turning and pulling me away from the sink. "Now."

"W-wait, hold on! The plate!" I squeaked, trying to put the soaked porcelain dish back in the sink and failing; Tiffany darted after us and snatched it, to my relief, but whatever else I could have seen after that was obscured by the wall as I was dragged out of the kitchen.

I hobbled after Sebastian, looking at his bulging neck and the curly hair at the nape of it, and a chill swept through my belly as I looked at the hand clamped around my arm. I still couldn't get over how large he was... he was powerfully built, tall, and every limb on his body dwarfed mine. 

He led me down several halls, taking multiple twists and turns, and then up a flight of carpeted stairs before dragging me down another long hallway with multiple doors. I stumbled in an attempt to keep my balance as he pulled me through the corridor and made a final turn down another long hall with no visible exits aside from two huge doors at the very end of it.

A shiver went through me since he was heading right for them.

"Where are we going?" I asked, trying to keep up with his long-legged stride. 

He stopped mid-step, grip tightening... then he let go and turned around, putting a single hand on my chest and using it to push me against the wall. My shoulders bunched to my ears on reflex when he slammed his hands down on either side of my head and leaned down. 

His eyes met mine, forcing unwanted eye contact.

"I told you not to bare your throat ever again," he said in a slow, drawling rumble, "but you did.... and not only did you do it again, you did it during the night of the full moon."

"Bare my throat?" I asked, eyes widening. "I didn't bare my thr--"

His head snapped forward.

My heart skipped a beat and my entire body jerked but my mind disconnected for a moment as the heat washed across my lips. I stood there, frozen, pulse pounding in my ears, cheeks growing hot, dazed beyond comprehension as I was kissed like I'd never been kissed before.

And then I saw his eyes, showing more wild emotion than I had ever seen possess another person's face, and before I realized what was happening I kissed him back like I was a drowning person and he was air. It was by no means a chaste thing, but for some reason it did not strike me as sexual at all. It was exploratory and desperate, something borne out of a desire to understand without understanding in the slightest, a need to feel the truth for a brief instant and then force it away so I wouldn't have to look at it again.

The kiss was a defense mechanism, a means through which I could shove an ugly possibility—not a truth, but a possibility—under a rug... and shove it away I did, with more gusto than I thought possible under the circumstances. I got lost in him, ignoring the painful reality of how wrong this was in favor of analyzing the way his mouth felt on mine, the taste and scent and feel of him, unadulterated and pure, and the way his hands pressed into my back like he could force me inside his own skin, all cool heat and calm chaos and controlled madness and...