Chapter 41: The Drama Queen IV (Diplomacy)

LORELEI

LORELEI

THE SUN was already up by the time I opened my eyes. I looked at the clock display on my phone. Nine o'clock na pala ng umaga. Sinubukan kong bumangon pero tila mabigat ang katawan ko at nahirapan akong buhatin ang sarili ko.

I looked to my right and noticed that the bed was empty. Nakatupi na ang kumot at nakapatong sa unan. Jamie must have woken up early for a reason I did not want to find out.

Amoy na amoy ko mula sa aking kuwarto ang sinangag. Someone was obviously cooking our breakfast. Loki had no talent for preparing a meal so he's out of the equation. How about Jamie? Siya ang nagluto ng agahan namin noong nakitulog siya sa apartment unit. Loki probably allowed her to stay back then because he was trying to convert her into our side or something along those lines. I did not care.

Pinilit kong bumangon at lumabas ng kuwarto. My eyes felt heavy and the bags under them probably got darker. I wanted to sleep again, but we might go back to Pampanga before noon.

Jamie was seated at one end of the table. The moment my room door produced a creaking sound, she turned to my direction and greeted me a good morning. I did not reply. There was nothing good in the morning especially if her face's the first thing I saw.

Loki was also there, on the opposite end, his arms crossed and his eyes closed. Gaya ko, napuyat din siya kahapon dahil sa imbestigasyon sa pagkamatay ng chairman.

Then there's another person who's busy at the kitchen. At first, I thought it was Jamie who's preparing our breakfast. Surprise! It's Luthor, wearing a pink apron while bracing the flames of the gas stove. He was flipping the omelette on the frying pan.

That caught me in a real surprise. Back in Clark High, I have always seen Luthor as authoritative. No one could order him to do a single thing. He never gets himself dirty. He always asks someone to do something for him. But this morning, I saw a different side of him. Aside from intimidating anyone by just standing and emitting his chilling aura, I did not know that cooking is one of his talents.

Hinila ko ang upuan at sinadyang ilayo ito sa puwesto nina Loki at Jamie. I may have rested my mind from all the shocking revelations last night, but sleep did not wash away their sins. I was still upset at them.

Ipinatong ni Luthor ang plato ng omelette sa mesa, kasunod ang platter ng fried rice. The smell was so good, my stomach grumbled.

"I was not aware that you know how to cook," I commented, staring at the steaming omelette. Akala ko noong una'y pinagpraktisan niya lang ang pagluluto nito. But based on the visual appeal of the food, mukhang sanay na siyang magluto.

"I cook my food at our house once in a while," Luthor replied, untying the pink apron around his waist. "Every now and then, I ask our housemaid to teach me basic cooking."

"Actually, nag-volunteer ako kung pwedeng—" Sasabat na sana si Jamie but my louder voice drowned hers.

"The food looks good and appetizing! Lalo tuloy akong nagutom. Hindi nga pala tayo nakakain kahapon."