Chapter Twenty: Finding the Love

Slappy was lying on the desk. He had his chest and stomach pressing on the top of the desk and his legs and feet in the air. He laid his wooden chin in the palm of his wooden hand. His brown eyes observed his love as she was sketching something.

A person.

He yawned and looked at the message that she had written - the one about the traitor - and then crumpled the paper and tossed it in the trash can.

"Score!" Slappy said, pleased that he did not miss.

"What are you doing, you little puppet?" Shelly wondered, not keeping her eyes off of her drawing.

He pouted. "I am not little."

"Then you are not cute."

The puppet raised an eyebrow. "Excuse me? You do not think that I am cute?"

"I do not think it. I know that you are cute. But..."

"What? But what?!" His cheeks became red.

"In my opinion, anything or anyone that is little is considered as cute. Like a baby. But seeing that you do consider yourself as being little..."

"I am little!" He jumped into her arms. "Which means that I am cute."

She giggled. "Alright."

One of the scientists decided to cut in.

"Come on," he said. "You still have not made one "Non-Fiend" and brought it to life. Lord Zorac will be disappointed."

The Lubriem rolled her eyes. "I am almost done with one. And please let me and Slappy chat while I am working. It helps me work faster." She set the puppet back on the desk and continued with her sketching.

From the corner of his eye, Slappy noticed that the scientists were glaring at him. They had their space guns aimed in his direction.

They did not like him or his presence.

"Hey, what is the matter?" he said. "I am the life of the party!"

"If you are talking to the guys who are threatening to end our lives, then I suggest that you leave them alone," Shelly informed. "I wanted you here. I do not want you to be taken away. Or worse. Die."

"Pfft! I cannot die. I am made of ink."

"I will not let you take any chances." She finished her sketching and set the pencil down. "Done!" She held up her drawing in front of the scientists. "I now need to color."

The scientists examined the picture.

"Hmm. Is that "Non-Fiend" strong enough to be in Lord Zorac's army?" the other scientist asked. "He or she does not look tough."

"It is a male. And looks can be deceiving. But I promise that he is powerful. As powerful as Lean."

"Ah. Fabulous."

The first scientist grabbed a small bucket of markers and placed it on the desk. "Two more steps," he reminded her. "Color and bring it to life."

"Yep." Shelly set her drawing back down and picked up a gray marker. She took off the cap and began coloring.

Slappy rested his back against his love's arm and watched her color. He closed his glassy eyes and relaxed his wooden body. Then he drifted off to sleep.

For only ten minutes.

"Finished!" The Lubriem exclaimed. She got out of her seat.

The puppet quickly woke up. He cried out as he found himself falling and landed on his wooden head.

Shelly noticed. "Oh!" She scooped him up and held him in one arm. "I am sorry. I knew that you were snuggling near me. I just got a bit excited and relieved."

He rubbed the top of his head and snuggled against her.

The scientists examined her coloring.

"Excellent job," the second scientist complimented. "Now for the final step." He smirked. "Bring him to life."

"Um..." She looked at Slappy and Lean, and then back at them. "...I cannot."

"What?" the first scientist questioned. "Why not?"

Lean stepped in to help.

"My Lubriem must be alone to do it," the ghost explained. "It is a process that she has to go through and can be deadly. If any of us are in here while she is bringing the "Non-Fiend" to life - if she performs it in a wrong way - then we will be exposed and cease to exist."

The first scientist rolled his eyes. "Very well. As long as the new "Non-Fiend" has been brought to life."

"Of course." Lean pushed a button that was on the wall, and the door slid open. "All of you and I will leave the room until it is over."

"What about him?" The second scientist pointed at Slappy.

"Uh, he will teleport himself out."

"Fair."

The scientists left the room, and Lean looked at Slappy and winked.

She whispered, "Stay with my Lubriem." She then left, and the door closed.

The puppet looked up at the Lubriem. "I guess that we are alone," he stated. "Just you and me. All alone."

"Yep," Shelly agreed.

"So...I think that we should...you know. Kiss. Cuddle with each other. I get to propose to you."

"What?"

He jumped and quickly hid the ring that he was holding in his right hand behind him. "Nothing."

She eyed his hand. "Slappy?" Then she gasped. "Oh, no. No!" She spotted purple and black on his left hand. "You have it."

"W-what are you talking about?"

Suddenly, the door opened, and standing in the doorway were Bill, Kai, Bell, Kaila, Bullheit, and the hooded figure.

"Shelly, help!" Bill pleaded. "Bell will not wake up!"