.1

Demons Of The Sky

A scream.

A scream I soon realised belonged to me, my voice, my air, my lungs. 

My door burst open and I saw my father, his eyes wide and his mouth slightly opened. His once pristine pyjamas now crinkled from restless sleep and his face showed a subtle prickle of a beard. I sighed, not breaking eye contact with the man I called my father. I rubbed the sweat off my forehead and pulled my hair back into a loose bun. The lamp beside me flickered on and I jumped slightly at the sudden brightness of the room. 

"Scooch," he grunted and I shuffled over in my little bed. He slid in beside me and patted my back as I laid on his chest, my breathing slowed and my heart rate dropped. 

"Oh Bonnie" He spoke softly, he was always saying that to me, nearly every time I got into some trouble with the girls at school that was his response, as if he was unsure how to punish me. 

Sleep.

Sleep overtook me like a wave. I knew when I woke my father would not be there; it was routine that he would always be gone after I slept and I would always wake alone. I constantly felt alone as if no one not even my father, my own flesh and blood, didn't understand me. 

*******

I woke once again, alone as I expected. I swung my pale legs over the edge of my bed the springs creaking with age with every move I made. My once warm feet met the cold tiled floor, I pulled my fuzzy robe around my small body and walked through the house to the kitchen. 

A note was left stuck to the refrigerator 

Morning Darling,

I left early, cereal is in the cupboard

Remember to lock the door behind you 

Be safe going to school

Love Dad xx

I sighed and put the paper down on the counter. It was the same note I had received almost every day since my mother abandoned us for another family. I had been told ever since I was little that my mother didn't want me and dumped me with my father as punishment, I always wondered why she left and why I wasn't good enough for her. Parents are meant to love their children so I wondered why she didn't love me, dad told me he threw out all pictures he had of her so I had no idea what she looked like but I knew I must look like her because I look nothing like my dad. 

I stretched going on to my tip toes and opened up the cupboard pulling out a box of Cornflakes and placed it on the scuffed counter tops, from the many attempts of my dad trying to make dinner. Lots of memories filled this house but I couldn't help but feel as though I didn't belong here. Milk spilt over the sides of the cracked plastic bowl and dripped to the floor, I grunted deciding to leave it for now and sat down on the cold tiles munching on my cornflakes thinking about last night. 

I can always remember bits and pieces of my nightmares they always included a young girl crying and a baby. Unsure of what it meant I always let it go. My dad refused to help me with this, he would just tell me everything was okay and to forget about everything but forgetting about my nightmares was next to impossible considering they felt so real. Almost as if I was trying to send myself a message but I could never put all the pieces together.

Word Count 618.