Chapter 20 - Molly - Hold On

While Gretchen and Jesse headed back to the shore, to retrieve Gretchen's car from the road on the other side of the forest, Amaya wrapped her scaly arms around Molly, holding her tight as she swam them back to the beach behind Mr. Culver's house. It was just as unreal watching Amaya's transformation go the other way, from mermaid to human. Once she had legs again, Amaya walked out of the swell, over to a piece of coral fabric partially buried in the sand. It was a dress, Molly saw, when Amaya picked it up, shook it out, and slipped into it.

     She was stunning, even in a wrinkled, dirty dress with wet hair and no shoes. Molly walked over to put her arms around Amaya's waist, which brought a small smile to Amaya's beautiful face, but she turned her blue eyes to the side, staring out at the ocean.

     "I am truly sorry for all that occurred because of me." Amaya said, softly, barely louder than the crash of the waves.

     Molly reached up to take Amaya's chin in her hand, turning it so Amaya would look at her. "I don't blame you for any of this. And I'm not sorry that you came back. I've had relationships before, but I've never fallen for anyone as fast and hard as I did with you."

     Molly slipped her hand into Amaya's hair and moved in for a kiss. When Amaya linked her arms around Molly's waist, Molly brushed her tongue over Amaya's lips prompting Amaya to open her mouth.

     After a few minutes, they finally broke apart—mainly because Gretchen called out to them from Mr. Culver's back door. They headed up to the house, holding each other tight. Mr. Culver looked over and smiled as Amaya and Molly walked through the back door.

     Everyone was gathered in the kitchen. The whole room smelled heavily of the fish that Mr. Culver was frying on the stove. Jesse and Gretchen sat at the small round table.

     Amaya sat in the chair next to Gretchen and pulled Molly down to sit in her lap, wrapping her arms firmly around Molly's waist. Amaya stretched her neck up so she could brush her lips against Molly's ear, whispering, "I don't want to let you go, again."

     Molly felt a blush coming on. She turned her head to press her forehead against Amaya's, slipping her arm around Amaya's neck. "Me, neither."

     When Molly met Amaya four months ago, she never would've imagined that this would be what came of it.