Chapter 19 - Amaya - Fighting Back

Amaya's heart sank when the siren sang to Molly. She couldn't believe they were back to where they started. She wondered why Molly would come back here. Amaya told her how dangerous sirens were. She should've run until her legs wouldn't carry her anymore. Siren calls could be heard for miles by their intended victims.

     Amaya knew it was up to her to save Molly. She waited until her wounds had fused enough to stop bleeding before she made her move. She started the transformation to allow her body to transition halfway so that she retained her talons and also had legs to go onto land.

     While the siren was preoccupied with Molly, Amaya rushed from the pool to slam her shoulder into the woman's back, knocking her to the ground, but she took Molly with her when she tried to grab onto her for stabilization. Amaya picked up the blade that Molly dropped. She briefly wondered where Molly found it, but there was no time for speculation, so she put the thought to the side.

     The siren got up and faced Amaya, the muscle in her jaw jumped as she ground her teeth together. "I have had quite enough of you."

     "I could say the same." Amaya snapped, swinging wildly at the siren with the long blade.

     The siren easily evaded Amaya's angry hacking. She sidestepped, ducked, dodged, and even fought back. When she slammed her open palm against Amaya's stomach, the blade fell from Amaya's hand. It clattered on the rocky ground. The siren quickly swiped it up and pointed it at Amaya, laughing at Amaya's ineptitude.

     The siren's eyes shifted to something behind Amaya. Whatever it was pleased the siren enough that she flashed a toothy smile. "Well, this is perfect."

     "What's going on?" Gretchen shouted.

     "Holy shit! They're both naked." A deep voice croaked. Amaya assumed the voice belonged to Gretchen's mate, Jesse, whom she'd mentioned earlier.

     Amaya looked over to confirm that it was him. She was just in time to see Gretchen elbow Jesse in the stomach. "Shut up!"

     Amaya rolled her eyes and groaned. They had terrible timing. Before Amaya could warn them, the siren sang to them, sweeping them under her spell.

     "Grab her, pets." the siren commanded.

     Gretchen and Jesse ran over to grab Amaya's arms. She could've gotten out of their grasp, but she didn't want to hurt either of them. They would go out of their way to please the siren, even if it meant harming themselves to do so.

     "Up, now, my lovely." The siren held her hand out to Molly, who stood and took hold of it.

     The siren glared at Amaya. "You shouldn't have fought back. I would've kept our deal. I consider myself to be quite honorable."

     "You're a monster." Amaya spat. "I don't trust a word out of your mouth."

     "Too bad." The siren shrugged. "Now, she has to pay for your impertinence."

     "What?" Amaya was confused.

     In a quick motion that a human wouldn't have registered, the siren swung the blade and sliced Molly's throat. Blood gushed from the wound. Molly didn't even clutch at her throat. She just fell to the ground, unable to move without the siren's permission.

     "No!" Amaya cried out. She flung Gretchen and Jesse off of her and rushed to grab Molly. She pulled Molly into her lap, pressing her hands against Molly's throat. Fresh hot tears streamed down her face, falling onto Molly's forehead.

     "I warned you the cost of not cooperating." The siren motioned to the claw marks on her shoulder which were still angry bright red lines, trying to heal.