Chapter 3 - Amaya - Focus on the Feelings

The next morning Amaya awoke in the bed that had been her sister's. It was the most plush thing she had ever rested on. She felt rejuvenated and excited to start her search for Molly.

     She unwrapped the blanket from around her. She had fallen asleep on top of the covers, which she knew was incorrect, and at some point during the night she'd gotten cold and pulled the edges together to cover her.

     She leapt up and went to the window that overlooked the ocean. The sun made the water glisten with a million points of light. It was a beautiful sight from above the surface. She could hardly believe that she'd been alive for so long—though not so long for a mermaid—and had only recently seen this sight for the first time.

     After a few minutes, she turned and headed for the door. She stopped with the knob twisted halfway around, when she remembered that she wasn't wearing clothes. She sighed and spun around to go to the closet, passing the nightgown that she'd discarded last night, unable to sleep with the material clinging to her; it felt too confining.

     She dressed in a white flowy dress. The texture was smooth and cool to the touch and it had a lovely sheen to it. It reminded her of water. She chose it because it was the least restrictive thing in the closet.

     Once she found a pair of shoes that didn't make her wobble, she went downstairs. James was in the living room sewing on a piece of grayish-green clothing.

     When Amaya approached, he looked up and offered a half-smile, keeping one side of his mouth shut tight where he held pins between his lips. "I left a plate of bacon and eggs in the oven for you, if you're hungry."

     Her stomach growled at the mention of food. "You are so kind. I cannot thank you enough."

     "No problem."

     "Just one thing." She raised her index finger.

     "What's that?"

     "What is the oven?"

     James started chuckling. He removed the pins from his mouth to laugh out loud. He placed the pins and his sewing to the side and stood. He patted her on the back. "Come on, kid."

     James led the way into the kitchen and showed her what the oven was; he also explained its purpose while removing a shiny silver disk from inside. Although, having seen it, she had a flash of memory from Kaelin helping James' daughter cook a meal using the contraption.

James placed the disk on the table and peeled back the silver to reveal a plate of food underneath. He crumpled the silver into a ball and tossed it into the trash bin. He also retrieved a fork for her.

     Amaya started in on the food as James went to the large metal box, which he called a fridge, explaining it to her as well, and removed a glass container of an yellowish-orange liquid. He poured the liquid into a glass and placed it beside her plate.

     She picked up the cup and took a sip. "Blech!" She stuck her tongue out. It was very bitter. There was a sweetness to it as well, but it wasn't enough to offset the bitterness. "What is that?"

     "It's orange juice." He looked confused. "Your sister seemed to like it."

     She cringed. "My sister has no taste then."

     "Maybe it's gone off." James picked up her glass and took a sip. He raised his brows and hummed. "Nope, still good."

     "That is not what I would call good." She stuffed a strip of the delicious salty bacon into her mouth to rid her tongue of the foul taste.

     James gulped down the juice and placed the glass in the sink before getting another glass from the cabinet. "I'll fix you some water."

     "That would be preferable." she said.

     When he returned with her water, he handed it over and took a seat across from her. "Do you mind if I ask why you came back?"

     Amaya swallowed the last bit of her food and pushed the plate away. "I had a connection with a human. I wanted to see if it was something more than an infatuation. Kaelin convinced me."

     James smiled and nodded. "Makes sense to me."

     "Does it?" Amaya asked. She wasn't so sure. "Can I really leave my world behind for a human? Because she could not survive in my world."

     He patted her hand which rested on the table. "I wouldn't worry too much about the logistics. Just focus on the feelings. The rest has a way of working itself out. That's what I told my grandson about your sister."

     Amaya sighed deeply. "I hope that is true."

     James propped his elbow on the table so he could rest his head in his hand. "So, do I know this human?"

     Amaya shrugged. "Her name is Molly. She has lovely red hair and eyes that are somehow both brown and green at the same time with little bits of gold. She is the most beautiful woman I have ever seen."

     "I know Molly." James said. "She works down at The Old Shack."

     "Yes!" Amaya grabbed his hand. "That is her."

     "She's a great girl." He rubbed her hand and leaned forward. "And she'd be lucky to have you."

     Amaya felt heat burning in cheeks and across her chest. That was a sensation that she'd only ever felt around Molly. Apparently, even the mention of her produced the effect. Amaya couldn't wait until she got to see her again.

     "Y'know, Molly don't live too far from here." James told her. "Just down the beach, at the lighthouse."

     Amaya remembered Molly mentioning something about a lighthouse, but Amaya hadn't known what that was when they were talking. It was only now, with Kaelin's memories, that she understood what that meant.

     Amaya stood up. "Then, that is where I shall go."