Chapter 17 - Amaya - A Bargain Struck

The siren lifted Amaya off her feet and carried her over to the pool. Amaya struggled against the hold, lashing out, but unable to reach the siren's body, beyond swiping her with her fingertips.

     The siren held Amaya over the water and said, "Now, it's time you shift back, so the fun can begin."

     "I'd rather drown as a human than give you what you want." Amaya choked out.

     "Pet," cooed the siren.

     When Molly came over, the siren lifted a finger to Molly's neck. Her fingertip had changed from a fleshy pink nail to a pale golden talon. "If you don't cooperate, I'll slice her throat." She lowered Amaya so that her feet dangled in the water. "It's your choice."

     Amaya's eyes jumped to Molly. She couldn't risk her life. Then, she had an idea. Maybe she couldn't save herself, but she might could save Molly. She looked at the siren. "Send her away first."

     The siren smirked. "Alright. I'm not an unreasonable woman."

     The siren turned to Molly and sang out a low note that made Molly falter on her feet. She swayed before she threw out an arm to catch herself on the rock wall. She blinked a few times, holding a hand to her head. "What happened?"