An Altercation

Chapter 19

"Rudolph the red nosed rain dear had a very shiny nose, and if you ever saw it, you would even say it glows." Went the music at the coffee shop a couple of weeks later. "I got Christmas hats for everyone to wear here everyone please take one." Mom had said while carrying a box of Christmas hats that had just been delivered to the shop. So we all put one on as we were rummaging through stuff in the back looking for decorations to decorate the shop with. It was an early Saturday morning mom had Kimberly and me, Maggie and Sophie there early to decorate the shop for the holidays. Once we got some decorations up, we were able to open the shop for the day. There was already a line of people outside the door waiting to come in anyways, "Hi what can I get for you this morning?" asked Sophie, she was on registers this morning, with Maggie, Kimberly was in line to handle the food and I was in line to mainly handle making drinks. So the customer ordered an iced holiday cookie crumble coffee with just milk no sugar and a multigrain bagel with strawberry cream cheese toasted. So I made the drink and Kimberly prepared the food, I put his drink on a tray then got to work making other customers drinks, Kimberly put his food on the tray and pressed the button for him to pick it up, then she got to work preparing other customers orders. It was pretty busy all morning I had to jump on registers when Sophie and Maggie needed to take their breaks. Kyle walked in around 11:30 when I was covering one of their breaks, with his friend that had the hot's for me, Ryan was his name if I remember correctly. "So do you two have a date after the holidays or not?" asked Ryan. "Sparks are flying like fireworks." Kimberly had said. "Stop it," I said to her giggling and blushing once again. "Keep the lines going girls it's crazy here today." My mom had yelled from out back. "I'm either going to have to take your order or talk to you guys later," I said. "Here's my number, call me." Kyle had said while slipping a piece of paper into my hand." "I got to get home before my mom tracks my phone down anyways." He said. "Ok see you at school Monday," I said. Then Kyle and Ryan left the coffee shop. When our next shift of help came in at 2, I was able to leave, work for the day. "What are your plans for the rest of the day honey?" asked mom. "I'm headed to the gym right now, and then I'll be going home to study," I said. "Oh that reminds me, honey, when you get home later could you start a load of laundry, for me and would you please unload the dishwasher? And I will probably be here till closing tonight so you might want to pick up something for yourself for dinner." Mom had said. "I'll start the chores mom but seriously when are you going to hire someone to come in and do these things? It's been a few months now since we've been here and you said you were going to get a cleaning lady, I'm tired after working all day." "You need to get some patience with me, Laura Jean, I've been busy getting the coffee shop up and running you can hire a cleaning lady if you're going to have an attitude with me about it." Mom had said. "I'll talk to you later," I said huffy, turning around to leave. "Are you ok Laura?" asked Maggie as she was punching out for the day herself. "Oh, it's nothing that a run on the treadmill, can't fix," I said. "Going to the gym?" asked Maggie. "Yeah, I'll see you here in the morning," I said. "Have a good rest of your day." "Oh, I will I have a date with my boyfriend tonight." Maggie had said. "Stay safe," I said, as I was heading out the door.