A Nicer Group Of Girls

Chapter 8

I walk into the coffee shop that afternoon, and the line is going out the door. I throw my apron on, punch in and get started on taking customers' orders. "Hi what can I get for you today?" I ask. "I will have a large hot blueberry coffee cream and sugar, and a multigrain bagel toasted with mint cream cheese on the side, and my daughter will have a chocolate croissant and a small iced caramel swirl coffee with almond milk and two equals, and that will be all." "Ok, that's going to come to seven dollars and thirty-five cents." The customer shuffles through his wallet looking for money when a twenty dollar bill falls on the floor; he picks it up and places it on the counter. "Twelve dollars and sixty-five cents is your change is that for here or to go?" "Here." "And do you want the croissant warmed up at all?" "Yes please." "Ok here's a buzzer it will vibrate when your order is ready." So I busy myself with the making of the beverages first, then I work on busying myself with the customer's food order, once everything is prepped, I brought their drinks, and their snacks over to the counter placed everything on a tray and hit the button for the customer to pick up.

"Next in line please," I yell. Yeah, I know it would make our lives easier if we had people working the food line and the drink line for when it's busy at times like these, however, my mother is supposed to be working on that.

Later on that night, a group of teenage girls from my school came in I recognized a few of them as being fellow students in a few of my classes. "You're the new girl that just moved here right?" "Yeah I'm Laura it's nice to meet you I'm in a few of your classes, what can I help you girls with tonight?" "We saw the now hiring sign and were wondering if we could get an application, I'm Kimberly, and these are my friends Maggie and Sophie." "Yeah I can give you an application, and after you fill it out, I'll leave it for my mom to review in the morning when she comes in if your availability and credentials match what she's looking for she will be in contact with you." So I handed the girls over an application, and they said, "Thank you." Before leaving for the night, I put the girls filled out applications on the desk in my mother's office.