Chapter 8(end of sequence 1): I'm Sorry

"Hama, I'm here to help again--" I stop in my tracks to once again see Haru standing there in Hama's place at the laundromat.

He stared at me for a second then continued doing his work, "She's not coming in anymore." He slapped a wet button up through the air vigorously splashing water in all directions then gently hung it up to dry. "You don't need to come in anymore."

I stared at him in shock then shook my head and remembered what had happened last time. "I uhm, I got my second stage letter yesterday..." Yes, it was only yesterday that I had decided not to search for the answers both my mama and papa wanted or instead 'needed' to hear.

I still haven't changed my mind either.

He glanced up for a second at me or so I thought until he pulled down a pair of socks from the drying line, "good for you I guess." he folded them nicely then tossed them into a bag labeled 'Shonu's.'

I walked around the machines to get closer to him, only for him to move to another one, rummaging through the lint pile. "So...That means I'll be able to pick a partner soon too."

He just shook his head and politely said, "ah...I guess you're right." Then silence.

But it wasn't awkward. More uncomfortable, at least for me, it was. Haru seemed to not put too much worry to the silence at all. It's like he could care less that I was here.

"H-haru?" I stammered.

He looked up from his work, "hm?"

"A-are you alright? You seem--"

He cut me off before I could finish, "I'm fine just busy that's all. Do you mind giving me some space, it's already stuffy enough in here?" And just like that, I could feel it. The detachment in his voice.

I slowly backed away from him and was about to leave, but then realized why I came here in the first place. I straightened up to attempt to regain some confidence. Stepping forward with my chest up and my shoulders back I clearly stated, "marry me."

The words rolled off my tongue like a raindrop falling from a leaf, and just like that drop, my words were splashed into different directions without much damage to its surroundings. "I'm sorry, but I can't Azami."

I stood there befuddled for a few moments, my shoulders drooping back down to their self-conscious state from before, then I sprung back to my senses and shot back elegantly, "and why not? Is it because I'm too much of a sister to you?  Or is it because I ran yesterday? Listen, I'm sorry about that.  It's just that at the moment I was distraught and my feelings took over.  I just want you by my side forever."

I could see the shock and embarrassment plastered on his face for the smallest second just before it was wiped away with the plain mask he'd been wearing since I walked through the door. "No, I've already taken it upon myself to ask Grette to spend her partnership with me...this morning."

Before I could stop myself or even realize what I was about to do, my hand whipped itself across my childhood friend and longtime crush's soft cheek leaving a bright red handprint. He looked down at me shocked with a red blush filling his face, his eyes became watery.

I looked up at him with a single tear dripping down my cheek falling from my chin to hit the ragged wooden floor. "Goodbye then...Forever." I turned and ran out of the shop straight for home, tears streaming down my face.

I could hear Haru shouting after me for the first few minutes but soon his sweet-toned voice faded in the wind swiping past my face.

I crashed through my front door crying, "P-papa!" I ran straight into my room and without thinking threw open my closet doors. On the floor laid some wood with papers placed there by me last night. I picked the papers and book up and ran to the kitchen to find my satchel next to some saved up rations.

I'm doing this, nothing is holding me here! I'm going to learn how to read and write what's in this old as time book so that I can be free with mama and papa!

I began to scribble down pictures that matched the ones on the map then drew a family portrait.  Signing it with the serial number I was given on my overalls, I left it on the table next to the planks of wood and turned away.

I'm sorry papa, I'm a coward for leaving only now. But I can't stay here.  I have nothing holding me down. I'll come back for you with our freedom to learn and know about the truth.

I grab an extra pair of undergarments and slip on the blue dress Haru had given me so I wouldn't be stopped. Grabbing my satchel and slipping on my lace-up brown boots I head straight out the door without turning back.

"I'm coming for you, Mama."

----------------------------------------------

Heeeeeey so I know this is extremely short, but I just wanted to end the first sequence here! yes I know I'm awful for cutting this all up, but this is the only way I can post so many chapters in such a short time.

As some of you know from my Instagram, I am going into college, so I'll have a lot of getting used to, so drawing the line here, for now, was for the best :(

I'll be back before any of you know I'm gone though so please just wait for a little😇

For updates on this book my personal life and other books, I have to check out my Instagram: _sofran4

remember to vote and share this story with friends it's much appreciated!!

I'll see yall on the other side...

Stay gold Ponyboy.

...that's a reference to another book...