Chapter Fourteen: Gwath

Start from the beginning

He met Aragorn's startled eyes, who tossed aside his sword and swung his torch with both hands. But turning away, Robin searched the fighting instead for green eyes-- a flash of red hair made him race toward where Elanor faced a wolf three times her size.

But before he got within ten feet, a force rammed into his shoulder so hard, he swore he heard a crack, flying sideways to the ground.

Once more, Robin tasted blood.

Rolling over, he grasped for his torch, but it was inches out of reach. Groaning, Robin lifted his head-- to meet two narrowed yellow eyes. Yellow eyes, a face half covered in mangy fur, and... and... 

Robin blinked.

Slowly, the fur melted away from the creatures body and a sneer played across a humanoid scarred face, the eyes remaining yellow slits but everything else seeming human. 

The figure that stood before him was a man.

"So you're the thief." The man's voice was on the brink of a growl and as he spoke, Robin got a glimpse of sharp teeth. "Interesting."

Robin started to scramble back, but the man quickly stepped forward-- down hard on his leg. Stringy hair fell over his eyes as the man tilted his head, a predatory snarl forming on his face. "Going somewhere?"

Robin opened his mouth, then closed it. There was a ringing in his ears, his body hurting so bad he wasn't sure he would get far if he did.

Still, in vain, his fingers searched the dirt for his torch. But instead, he felt cool iron, his senses screaming as he realized it was his sword. Forcing a grin, Robin gazed up at the man. "I wouldn't dream of it."

Yellow eyes blinked.

Grunting, Robin wrapped his fingers around the handle of the sword and swung it forward-- the man shouted in pain as it sliced across his chest leaving a long gash of red. 

As if in sync with the pain, the man's back arched and he threw his head back toward the sky. Something in Robin's stomach twisted as fur began to cover the man's arms and face once more, his shout turning into a broken howl.

Oh, Eru.

This time, Robin was able to clamber to his feet, although the entire world spun. The howl broke off and he barely managed to duck as sharp claws entered his vision, nicking his cheek. 

Feeling a trick of blood warm his face, Robin stumbled back, cursing under his breath.

"Morchant has requested your death," the wolf-like man's voice came out in a growl and bile rose in Robin's throat at his snoutlike face. So this was a werewolf. 

"I don't know who that is," Robin gripped his blade tighter. "But I'm sorry to say this handsome face is going to have to disappoint."

Yellow eyes flashed and the werewolf leaped forward, fangs catching the pale moonlight. Robin darted sideways, slashing his blade sideways again, but this time not even catching a hint of fur. 

He felt on the brink of collapse.

But before the man-wolf could even move, there was a shout and a flash of torchlight. Robin didn't even have time to blink before the werewolf screamed in agony, flames racing up his fur.

Thralor stood behind him, gripping a torch tightly.

"You foolish creature!" Everything was moving slow, but Robin's mind was able to comprehend the werewolf stumbling back, shifting between wolf and man, then back. "Morchant will slay you all!"

"Take another step, dog." Thralor brandished his torch like an axe, taking a fighting stance. But instead, yellow eyes flashed and the werewolf turned.

Silence fell over the clearing as he raced into the darkness. As if sensing their leader's retreat, the surviving wolves broke away as well, turning tail and sprinting into the growing shadows.

With wide eyes, Robin gazed over at the bald-headed dwarf.

"Don't think twice about it, Hood." Thralor tossed the torch to the ground, looking disgruntled. "Now we're even."

Even.

Robin slumped back to the ground. This time, he didn't even try to fight the darkness, letting it sweep him into a blissful oblivion.

 This time, he didn't even try to fight the darkness, letting it sweep him into a blissful oblivion

Robin went north after the burning of his village.

Months were spent moving from place to place, never staying long enough to let his heart settle. Bringing in what he could hunt and selling in the markets, Robin quickly realized his efforts were better spent pickpocketing, never earning enough to live on.

Then pickpocketing turned into full-fledged thieving. And that turned into picking up jobs, from those who were too stuck-up or powerful to get their hands dirty.

And that became his life. Drinking too much at the local taverns and taking what jobs he could. 

Because, he had decided, that was what he deserved.

He had failed.

Robin didn't quite remember the day that word spread that the War of the Ring had been won. But he did remember the day the king's coronation was announced.

Robin had traveled to Gondor then. Standing beyond the crowds, he had watched everything, from the speech to the crowning.

And just like that, it was over.

All those killed, were forgotten. The war went into legend-- but not the lowly fighters. Only the king and his companions. Those of rank and title.

That day, Robin realized that his father had died for nothing. He was another body that was never recovered on the battlefield, another that was but a simple casualty. He had died fighting a war for a kingdom that would never remember his face.

Robin had sworn then.

Everything he had lost wouldn't be for granted. He didn't care who, but someone would pay. And the king, standing above them all...

King Elessar.

King Elessar would be the one to pay.

*dun duuuuuun duuuuuuuuun* *leaps onstage*

This chapter was shorter than most... short, but quite fun to write! I just love the action scenes... well, action scenes and death scenes and action/death scenes. They are quite fun.

Hehe... moving on. How are you all? I start my final year of high school in ten days and lemme tell you, my friends, I don't wanna. I want to stay free and let my hair flow in the wind as I ride through the glen, firing arrows into the sunset.

Or write forever. Either works.

Discussion starter: so a bit more of Robin's past and a bit more action! What do you guys think of Gwath? He will be a more frequent character, I can promise that *crackles*