CHAPTER 21

I stumbled back with my mouth opened. "But ... wha-what do you mean she's back?" I stammered almost out of breath.

"How did you know she was gone?" Nobuhle asked walking towards us. I guess she didn't know about my visit to the warehouse.

"Well, I bumped into her at the airport," he said marching to the sink. I looked at him fazed. I needed some air. He poured himself a glass of water and gulped it down. I saw Sthabile and Aphile walking out.

"She's not a threat," Ndumiso said.

"Oh, don't tell me you knew she was coming!" I replied.

"Enhle," he said with that warning look of his. I looked at my dad and he sighed. "I'll protect you," he said.

"How when you couldn't the last time? No one amongst you knew she had planned to kidnap my children. That woman even planned to kill me and my babies, right under your nose, and you're telling me you'll protect me!?"

"Samkelo don't make me squeeze that not-so-there breath of yours with my own hands. I won't have you raise your voice at me!" my dad roared. "You two need to get married, fast," he continued.

"I get where you're coming from dad but Ntando is still married to Mlungisi," Lubongwe spoke. I looked at them and felt the need to vent. I walked to the sink and drank down two glasses of water. I placed the glass on the table and sighed.

"Does it make any difference?" I asked after I had calmed down.

"Yes, plenty. Ndumiso will have to sort his finances out first. Once you're married, she'll have nothing to fight over. You might, which I highly suggest, apply for full custody of Aphilonke. That woman might use her to get in his pockets," Dad explained. I sighed and looked at Ndumiso.

"What do you have to say, Mrs Bhengu to be?"

"Nothing will stop Nokwanda," I objected. "We don't even know why she's back. She might've returned for another plot of murdering me and my babies," I continued. Honestly, I was angry!

"Why not give you guys some privacy?" Nobuhle suggested getting her hand on the double pram.

"They don't need it. They need protection," HIM said. It was HIM as his voice was now firm and authoritative.

"So, what are we going to do?" I asked looking at the sorry Ndumiso.

"I think we need to get married," he replied. I looked at him and then at my dad. I shook my head and walked to my bedroom. It felt like Nokwanda had returned to kill me and my children again. Being engaged to Ndumiso wouldn't have made matters any easy. And marrying him, while she's around .... That's a burial pending.

I walked in the bathroom and went straight to the mirror. I looked at myself and just cried. Why is it that when things are slowly going well, something had to just ruin them up?

"Hello?" said a voice in the bedroom. I sniffed and walked out. "Oh, hi," I said.

"Come here," he said. I walked to him and we briefly hugged.

"Can I sit?" he asked. I nodded. We both sat.

"Don't take this the wrong way, okay?" he said gently banging his thighs. I looked at him and said nothing.

"Dad was right when he said you should get married"

"So, I should rush to marrying Ndumiso because he suggested it? What if we don't work out?"

"You already have the ring on your finger Ntando. What difference does marrying him now and years later make?"

"Why does it have to be now?"