CHAPTER 4

I woke up when I heard my phone ringing under the pillow. You know that ring that screams 'I'm going to annoy you the moment you answer your phone'. The one that has you feeling like you should just ignore the phone? Yep, that one. That's how annoying this one was. And me arriving at the early hours of the day made matters worse. Let me reintroduce myself.

I'm one of those people who cherish sleep and 'me' time. Whatever you do, don't wake me up unless someone's pointing a gun at me threatening to burn me alive. That's how much sleep means to me.

We all have one of those days where we just want to be left alone. WE ALL, me included have those days. It's bothersome to be surrounded by people who don't know the importance of being left alone when we're having 'one of those days'. I'm also obsessed with good music. I'd mention a few artists but that would offend a few readers so I won't. Yey! Good girl tendencies, keeping peace. I love food but I hate the gym and cooking. I'm that weird combination.

"Hello," I said after placing the phone on my ear.

"You sound like you're in bed," she said. Oh, it's Pretty. I wondered what she would be calling me for this early.

"Of course, I'm in bed. I was working last night"

"I'll keep this short then. Morgan has put you on night duty. He left strict instructions that you'll only be working with Dr Bhengu. The one you worked with last night," she said.

"Ugh," I said hitting my forehead. So he meant that "A few R200 notes are all he needs to get me on night shifts daily" shit of his. Apologies for cursing.

"Thanks for letting me know," I replied defeated. I threw my phone on my bedside table and slept.

I woke up, made the bed and took a long bath. Night shifts are no jokes I tell you. Especially if you're a lover of sleep. I soaked myself in there for a good and satisfying hour and then got out. I wrapped myself in a towel, rinsed the tub and walked to the bedroom. I got dressed in track pants and walked downstairs for something to eat. 

I made simple toasted bread and buttered it. I had it together with a glass of juice. After eating I washed the dishes and tidied up. I went to the living room and sat there, catching up on soapies. At 17h00 I prepared for work and left.

The minute I entered the building I was exhausted already. That Dr Bhengu had to prepare himself. I was going to give him an earful.

"I was about to call Morgan," he said as soon as I walked in. I rolled my eyes and sat down.

"Who gave you-"

"We've work to do," he said cutting me short.

"I don't work for you!"

"I didn't say you did''

"Why the hell did you give Morgan 'strict instructions' to-"

"Please do me a favour and do what you're paidto do. I didn't select you to whine. Now get on with it!" he said giving me a straight face. I swallowed hard and went on with it. I took his files and went to the couch and read through.

"Why don't you just hire an assistant?" I said looking at the pile of files in front of me.

"Anyone in mind?" he asked still focused on his laptop.

"There are tons of agencies on the net. You can just-"

"Then shut up!" he roared. I looked around a bit and carried on with my work. I didn't like him I know but now he was just being unreasonable. At 23h00 I stood up.