CHAPTER 3

A divorce?? That wouldn't help me end things with Mlungisi. He'll always be a part of me and I hated myself for that. I loved Mlungisi and he showed me a side of him I never thought existed when we got married. The Christianity in me took it as a 'test' from God and that was the beginning of our ending. I was convinced that prayer would change him but it didn't. Not even once! Mlungisi ruined me so bad that he had me questioning my faith in God, and that ladies and gentlemen, that should draw the line.

I arrived at the hospital and the look on Pretty's face, one of our receptionists told me a story I wasn't ready to hear but I found myself walking towards her and focused my eyes on hers. She can't keep quite that one.

"Your husband has been admitted in ICU. Rumours are it'd be out of God's grace if he makes it out alive. He was terribly injured,'' she said sipping her coffee. I stood there still shock at the news.

''Mrs Mazibuko! Mrs Mazibuko! Hello!!" she yelled out to me. "I just said that your son is okay. You can go through if you want to see him," she continued.

I admit, I hated Mlungisi, I genuinely did. I had even wished him death several times but that was too much. Even though I cared about him part of me still couldn't shake off the fact that he was never really a husband to me. Our wedding was just a cover for all the emotional and physical pain that I endured the day I said I do. I still don't know what changed him. He was once sweet and kind and to imagine how horrible he turned out to be after our wedding tears my heart apart. I went to my son's ward. His body gesture showed just how tired he was. I smiled when I saw him open his eyes.

"I told the helps to not let any nurses here and I also told Morgan (chief of the hospital) I would handle this! Why can't you all give me space!? It's not like I'd make the same mistake twice! Or what!? You think you can do this better than I can huh!?" yelled a doctor I found near Sthembiso's bed. For a moment there I though he was talking to someone else. I turned around to make sure that he wasn't talking to me.

He laughed sarcastically and went, "So you're going to pretend as if you're not here to spy on me? Go before I call security. I'll handle this one alone. Geez woman, I need to breeeeeath!"

"It's okay, she's my mother," Sthembiso intervened.

"Oh, I'm sorry. I ... I thought you work here and ... Fuck! What am I saying? Of course, you work here but I ... I'm sorry" I looked at him for a while. I had never seen him before and to not make matters worse I went, "I understand. Who are you anyways? You don't look familiar at all"

"I'm Dr Bhengu but you can call me by my first name, Ndumiso,'' he said coming towards me. Dr Bhengu was light in complexion, well-built and a bit tall. He had broad eyebrows that highlighted his small bright brown eyes and a ridiculous moustache that finished his look. He froze for a moment when he saw me. He then moved closer, extended his hand to me and had this 'wow' look on his face. I gave him mine and he surprised me by kissing it. I then uncomfortably took mine away from his and wondered around the room. He smiled at himself and then walked to the drawer and took out what seemed like an envelope. He signalled for me to come closer to them and I did.

And the famous "I have good and bad news" line came out from him. Immediately after he said that, my heart sank. He looked at the both of us and then went, "Young man you are not going to be able to use your legs for a long time, but I assure you, with proper nutrition and sufficient physio, your legs might get better''

"Might? Doctor come on, there must've been a mistake here. Please check him once more," I begged.

"Ms I'm sorry but he said it himself that he can't feel his legs. The results from his first check-up confirm that he is temporarily paralysed. I assure you though, he'll be mobile again. Give it time. You'll both get through it. Now, if you may excuse me, I have somewhere else to be," he said already heading to the door. Sthembiso laid there showing no emotions whatsoever. I sat at the chair next to his bed and silently watched him as he was staring at the ceiling. It was after a few minutes when I stood up.