CHAPTER 9

"I'm going to get you. Who the fuck you do you think you're, thinking you'll take what's mine and get away with it? I want you to feel the pain and anger I felt when Ndumiso rocked up to me with those divorce papers. Prepare for the storm. I'm about to turn your world upside down," she said coming close to my face. She started strangling me. She was so powerful I couldn't even fight back. I started praying. She tightened her grip. I panted, trying to catch my breath. Slowly she let go and started fading from my view. "I'm coming for you," she said disappearing. I opened my eyes grasping for air. I was soaking wet from sweat. I looked around, I was in hospital. There was a male nurse in the room.

"How are you feeling Miss," he asked placing his hand on my head. I swiftly got away from his touch.

"Can I have a female nurse, please?" I asked curling myself on that cold bed.

"Somebody tell the doctor that Miss Mthembu is awake." He shouted. The doctor rushed into the door. He was a white old man who immediately smiled as soon as he walked in. "Oh, boy. Oh, boy," I thought to myself. I was in no mood for them, certainly not today.

"I asked for a female nurse," I said to the nurse.

"Call her sister," he said to the nurse. "Do you know where you are?" he asked looking at me.

"Yeah," I responded not even looking at him.

"Good. Who are you?"

"Ntandwenhle"

"Surname?"

"Mthembu"

"Do you know what day it is today?" he asked. I turned to him and eventually asked, "When am I leaving here?". He looked at me like I was somehow crazy.

"What happened here?" he asked pressing his hand on my bruised neck. I felt some sharp pain but composed myself. He fixed his eyes on mine and gave me that 'I'm waiting' look.

"An accident," I replied.

"Mhh, how convincing," he said writing on his clipboard. "I see you're not the talkative type but you would be doing everyone a huge favour if you'd just open up to me," he continued. I stared into space. Honestly, I was in no mood for him.

"Uhm, I think we're done here," he said leaving. Nobuhle walked in just as he left. I took a look at my body. I looked fine.

"This is written Mlungisi all over. You're lucky Ndumiso found you and brought you home in time. Sis you almost ... "

"And what are you implying?" I asked looking at her.

"Enhle Mlungisi has done this before," she said touching my neck. "Beating you up and covering it. Don't blame me for thinking he has done it again," she continued.

"Stop right there! I don't know why you think you can just believe some stranger and judge my husband. It was Ndumiso. He did this to me! He-" I stopped when I saw Mlungisi walk in. I turned to Nobuhle, she looked just as confused as I was. She shrugged and held my hand, assuring me that she was with me. We both looked at Mlungisi. He removed his jacket and placed it on one of the chairs that were there. I swallowed hard. He walked towards my bed. Nobuhle turned to me.

"It's fine, you can go," I said to her.

"I ain't going nowhere. I don't trust this husband of yours! What if he came to finish you off?"

"I'll be fine. Just give us some privacy," I said in his defence. I let go of her hand. He looked at me and I nodded. She walked away and stood by the door.

"Buhle!" I shouted. She left. Mlungisi slid his hands on mine and held them tight. He breathed out and went, "Whoever did this to you is going to pay for it. No one! And I mean no one can do this to you and live to tell the tale," he said with his eyes on mine. I gulped and my eyes wondered in the room.