CHAPTER 19

"I'll never stop loving you," Ndumiso said holding both my hands. We were now out of the bed.

"I need to go," I said yanking them.

"Can I at least come with you to your delivery ward tomorrow?" he asked looking at me with his watery eyes. I had forgotten about the appointment.

"I told you I won't stop you from seeing your children, didn't I?" I asked faking a smile. I then made my way to the door.

"It's 9pm. You can spend the night" he spoke. I stopped on my tracks and swallowed hard. I also hadn't thought about where and how I'd get to that 'hotel'. I turned to him, cleared my throat and mouthed 'thanks'.

"What are we going to tell the kids?" he asked.

"We've never told them anything"

"But they knew we were in a relationship"

"Then they will also know it's over," I said frankly. He sighed and walked over to me. "I'm not giving up on us," he said looking down at me. He then kissed my forehead and walked out.

I walked over to the bed, sighed and prayed. I got in the covers and tried sleeping. My stomach was rumbling. I wore my sandals and walked out. I arrived downstairs and found him in the living room with a bottle of whiskey. I went past him and opened the pots.

"It's in the microwave," he said leaning on the kitchen counter. I shook because his voice startled me. I walked over to the microwave, removed the spoon and warmed my food.

"It's lasagne. Your favourite," he said smiling. I returned a faint one and tapped my nails on the counter.

"Is there any chance of us getting together again, in future perhaps?" he asked after some silence. The microwave went off and I took out my plate. I poured myself a glass of juice, took out the utensils and settled down on the bar stool. I did a short silent prayer and started eating. It was awkward with him staring at me with the bottle of whiskey in his hands.

"Can you at least promise to not give your heart to somebody else?" he said placing the bottle on the counter.

"Ndumiso not to sound rude or anything ... you're making me very uncomfortable right now"

"I'll leave after you answer my question. Swear on your children's lives that you won't fall in love with someone else," he replied. I sipped my juice and said nothing. "I love you Ntandwenhle and if you fall in love with someone else I'll kill that motherfucker with my bare hands," he replied. He then took his bottle and gulped it down. He winced and went to throw it on the dustbin by the kitchen entrance. He placed his hand on my shoulder and said, "I'm not letting you go"

I finished eating and went to the spare bedroom. I found him seated on the bed with his head bowed on his knees. He looked miserable. I cleared my throat and he looked up. "I thought I'll be the one using this room"

"You can have the main bedroom," he replied. "This is your house. You can sleep in your bedroom," I justified.

"Let's not argue about this. Go sleep in the main bedroom," he said with a low tone. I nodded and walked out. I went straight to the closet and took out my clothes. I folded and packed them in one of his suitcases. I left a black off-shoulder dress and grey baby heels for tomorrow's outfit. I pulled the suitcase and left it by the door. I looked at it and sighed. "This is it hey," I said out loud.

Morning came. I woke up, showered and dressed. I took my phone and checked on HIM. He had calmed down. I told him about me delivering the twins and he said he'd like to be with me. I agreed and hung up. I wheeled my suitcase out and reached thhe dining room where everyone was.