1 ~ Тне Nigнтмаяе

Serena

It's back

I have to go.

I have to leave.

I ran through murky waters, sped past thick green trees but my speed and vigilance was no match for what was behind me. It's low growl shook the ground underneath me. My legs ached and my lungs stung. The wind whistled and weaved through the trees. My legs finally gave out and my face met the goopy brown mud. When I looked up, I was on soft green grass. There was no mud. There was no more growling. Where am I? I turned to lie on my back. The sky was blue and clear. And calm, cool breeze made the short grass dance and sway. I was safe.

"..Mila..." the name whispered with the wind. I looked up and turned around. My vision had become blurry and all that could be seen was a lean figure. It stood tall and propped it's foot up on the stone it stood next to.
"Mila," the name was repeated but louder.

The sound of my alarm clock whined but was instantly shut off. I sat up and rubbed my eyes with the palms of my hands. I've had enough with that nightmare. It's been going on for about a week now but this time, it was different. There was someone in that wasteland with me. I shook my head a decided not to think about it for now. I had to get ready for work.

I threw the sheets off my legs and slid my feet into comfy white slippers. I caught a glimpse of my reflection in the mirror above my dresser.

My hair was a mess.

I had been up all night researching re occurring dreams that I must've forgotten to free my hair from the messy bun tied on top of my head.
I scrunched my face.

Shower? I thought. Yeah I guess.

I pulled off my sleeping shorts and white tee and took a cold shower to really wake me up. On the way to work I picked up a coffee and donut from the newly opened cafe just minutes from my apartment.

I work full time at Renée's, a popular women's clothing store. You usually see them at malls and such.

"There you are Serena holy shit!" Jess called out as soon as she saw me step in through the door. She instantly got a bad look from our manager and I watched her face turn from its bronze colour to a dark red. Jess had been my bestfriend since high school. I was awkward and shy and un confident with myself until I met her in 11th grade. She helped me love myself and I love her for that.

"Girl shut up before you drive everyone out of here," I laughed grabbing her and dragging her back to her post.

"You still having that same nightmare?" Jess asked before taking a slurp of her chocolate frapp. It was our lunch break so we decided to chill at a Starbucks. I told her about the nightmare after I had it 3 times in a row.

"Yeah. It's starting to really scare me," I said eyeing her drink. She noticed me stare at it and offered some. I took a sip and continued. "It was different this time though.

"Different?" She set the cup down.

"Yeah. At the end there was a guy or girl or someone. I think they were trying to get my attention." There was silence from Jess. She had zoned out.
"I kept hearing someone say 'Mila'." That caught her attention.

"Mila?" She asked, surprised.

"Yeah, why?"

"Mila is the name of a hero from years and years ago." She frowned. "Knowing that you're not into anything historical whatsoever," she paused and watched me roll my eyes, "I have no idea why the greatest hero to walk the earth's name was whispered to you." I scoffed and snatched her drink.

"Why you're so into history, I'll never understand," I evilly grinned while taking a sip.

"Well if you had ever listened to me, you'd know that my dad was a historian. Growing up I learned all about that shit wheather I liked it or not," she snatched back the drink.

"Anyways," I rested my elbows on the cold metal table and massaged my temples. "I don't feel comfortable sleeping in my bed tonight so could I-" Jess cut me off by covering my mouth with her hand and a high pitched squeal.

"Say no more sista, we're having a slumber party."