Chapter 31- Cages of Doom

Start from the beginning

She looks so drowsy and her mental function is most probably clouded. These are the common effects of drugs to first-time users. God, how I wish this is all just a dream.

I blink the tears away as I pick my phone up to try another call. After two rings, Jace finally answers.

"Dude!" I whisper with bulging eyes. "Emily is here! Everyone is here and they are about to start the fucking auction! Where are you? Please hurry up!"

"We're coming, just stay wherever you are and don't do something stupid," he calmly replies over the other line.

"Where exactly are you guys right now? I really "

I trail off as I feel a gun pressed against the back of my head.

Son of a fucking well-formed shit!

"On our way to the hotel," Jace answers, unaware of my current situation. It is at this moment that I knew that I fucked up. On reflex, my thumb finds its way to tap the end call button on the screen.

"I really need you to get lost, Dr. Greene."

The man's voice sends cold shivers all throughout my bloodstream. My eyes secretly dart over the screen of my phone in my hand to see his reflection from behind me.

My jaw clenches upon recognizing him.

It's him. Logan. Or should I say, Stefano de Luca? His name is indeed Italian but his accent is pure American. I slowly raise both of my hands up for surrender while tilting my head and body towards his direction.

My eyes automatically scrunch close when he further pushes the tip of the muzzle's cool metal against the back of my head.

I want to beg for my life, but my brain chooses for me to shut up and do everything as what he would say. I try to pop up from behind the table to show myself to everyone down there to at least divert his attention, but he instantly shoves me back down.

"One move and you're dead!" he brashes out, the searing urgency in his voice causing the hairs on the back of my neck to stand.

He then continues with tease and danger, "This gun has a suppressor, so let's make this quiet and fast, alright?" I can literally feel his finger hovering over the trigger, ready to fire that gun and fuck my brain into pieces. Tears once again swell up from the corners of my eyes as the upcoming and anticipated pain of death scorch through my cold and sweaty skin.

And the slow-motion begins...

The inner corners of my eyebrow angle upward in misery as I take a look at Emily's cage down there. Even from afar, I can see how troubled she looks from the inside despite the alluring beauty from the outside. She looks so soulless and emotionless, like a mannequin laying there without having the chance to see, feel, and taste the beauty of life.

Oh God. My Emily...

Is there an end to this? What exactly have I done to deserve all these neverending misfortunes?

"You are such a fucking nuisance, do you know that? Keeps interfering with our business. I really need to shut you down." Logan mumbles in excitement. "'Guess this is it, Man."

I close my eyes and hold my breath to forcefully accept the fact that in the next second, in just one snap, I will be gone.

"Fuck!"

I hear him cursing all of a sudden, along with the sound of a group of people from the outside busting the grand door open. I take the chance to whip around when I feel him moving away from me.

My heart leaps in relief upon seeing the police! Finally!

"Drop your gun, now!" An officer orders on gunpoint and Logan immediately drops his gun in surrender. The rest of the officers along with the FBI move further into the room to arrest everyone who is startled with the ambush.