Chapter 33: Welcoming to Lake Town

Time has passed into night, but you and the others left Bard's home before then. You now follow everyone, sneaking through walkways and finding your way to the armory.

    "As soon as we have the weapons we make straight for the mountain," Thorin says

    Once finding the armory, they make the decision to go in through a window which is high up. With this obstacle, about half the group pile onto each other into makeshift stairs. As soon as Bilbo goes through the window, you follow. Diving into the window, you end up doing a nearly silent summer salt then quickly stand.

    Once those who could make it to the window was in. Everyone begins grabbing weapons. Sword after sword, ax after ax, hammer after hammer, spear after spear. All grabbed.

    "You alright?" Thorin asks Kili in front of you

    "I can manage," Kili answers "Let's just get out of here."

    Kili then starts to go down a set of stairs but soon falls. Dropping all the weapons in his arms, which causes a loud crash and clanging. Moments later distant shouting is heard. Suddenly you're surrounded by the guards, all holding weapons to everyone's throat.

    From there the company is brought in front of the largest building in the town. Guards harshly shoving and dragging everyone forward. Townsfolk that were woken up by the noise come forward to see what's going on.

    "What is the meaning of this?" a large man with ginger red hair asks, coming out of the building

    "We caught them stealing weapons, sire," One of the guards answers

    "Ah. Enemies of the state, eh?" The large man says

    "A desperate bunch of mercenaries, if ever there was sire," A familiar voice, Alfrid you assume says beside the large man

    "Hold your tongue!" Dwalin says threateningly "You do not know to whom you speak. This is no common criminal. This is Thorin, son of Thrain, son of Thror!"

    "We are the Dwarves of Erebor," Thorin says, stepping forward "We have come to reclaim our homeland."

    Murmuring spreads throughout the crowd of people that watch. Speaking of some prophecy, you ignore and listen to Thorin as he speaks.

    "I remember this town is the great days of old," Thorin says "Fleets of boats lay at harbor filled with silks and fine gems. This was no forsaken town on a lake. This was the center of all trade in the North! I would see those days return. I would relight the great forges of the Dwarves and send wealth and riches flowing once more from the Halls of Erebor!"

    Cheers now come from the crowd as Thorin says these things. But they're soon ceased, hearing a voice shout.

    "Death!" Bard shouts coming from the crowd "That is what you will bring upon us! Dragon fire and ruin. If you waken the beast it will destroy us all."

    "You can listen to this naysayer," Thorin says to the now frightened crowd "But I promise you this: If we succeed all will share in the wealth of the mountain. You will have enough gold to rebuild Esgaroth 10 times over!"

    Loud cheers now come from the crowd. Some discussing the changes this could make.

    "What should we take you at your word?" Alfrid asks "We know nothing about you. Who here can vouch for your character?"

    Silence spreads through the crowd as the watch expectantly.

    "Me," Bilbo says beside you "I'll vouch for him."

    "As will I," You say, stepping forward with Bilbo then raise your voice to be heard "We have both traveled far with these Dwarves through great danger."

    "And if Thorin Oakenshield gives his word," Bilbo says, loudly as well "Then he will keep it."

    Cheers once again spread through the crowd.

    "All of you!" Bard shouts, silencing the crowd once again "Listen to me! You must listen! Have you forgotten what happened to Dale? Have you forgotten those who died in the firestorm?! And for what purpose? The blind ambition of a Mountain King so driven by greed, he could not see beyond his own desire!"

    "Now, now!" The Master says "We must not, any of us, be too quick to lay blame. Let us not forget that it was Girion, Lord of Dale, your ancestor, who failed to kill the beast!"

    Murmurs spread through the crowd. Some speaking of that day of the attack.

    "It's true, sire," Alfrid says "We all know the story. Arrow after arrow, he shot. Each one missing its mark."

    "You have no right," Bard says after approaching Thorin "No right to enter that mountain."

    "I have the only right," Thorin retorts then turns to look at the Master "I speak to the Master of the Men of the Lake. Will you see the prophecy fulfilled? Will you share in the great wealth of our people? What say you?"

    "I say unto you," The Master says pointing his finger "Welcome! Welcome! And thrice welcome King Under the Mountain!"

    Cheers louder than before spreading through the crowd. A small smile breaks across your face as well as the others. How will this all play out? Will Kili be well enough for the rest of the journey to the mountain?